Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Professional painting for oak cabinets oil based paint or lacquer

Posted by kmallen (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 14:58

We have had a couple bids on painting our oak kitchen cabinets and all our oak woodwork white. With the two bids one is using oil based primer and then 2 coats of enamel paint on the cabinets. For the trim they use oil based primer and then 2 coats of paint. The other bid uses lacquer paint for everything and a clear coat on the cabinets. I had never really read or heard much about lacquer paint so I am confused on what will be the best for durability and aesthetics reasons. Any help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Professional painting for oak cabinets oil based paint or lac

Enamel paint doesn't really signify what kind of paint it is, just that the paint is a washable paint, meaning that a protective skin forms on top of the paint. Enamel paints could be latex, acrylic, oil or lacquer really. I would use BIN primer (shellac based) or any other number of acrylic primers that are designed to stick to slick surfaces (bonding). I would then topcoat with a 100 percent high quality acrylic paint, probably in satin. Some perfer semi-gloss. The reason I would choose acrylic is because it won't yellow like oil or lacquer or crack in the joints as easily.

o

That makes sense about the yellowing. Have you had any experience with the sprayed on lacquer paint on oak cabinets? Will the lacquer yellow over time?

o

Yeah, it will yellow. Also, I don't really think lacquer will hold up any better than an acrylic paint overall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here