Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacotti_gw

I think I made a BIG mistake

mamacotti
11 years ago

Boy, I did it now.

I didn't clean this 32 yr old ceiling before I tried to paint it.

This house is about 32 yrs old, room is approx. 15'x30'.
The ceiling texture is ...Palm (?), so not smooth. The room has crown molding, and gets lots of natural light on one end. I am using a ladder because I didn't want to have to buy scaffolding for just the one room.

Yes, I know...I must be an idiot.

Then I saw how the paint wouldn't even stick on the edges, by the crown.

Now lots of flashing shows during the day, uneven spots, even where I touched up places shows terribly.

So I stopped what I was doing to totally regroup, get through the holidays, then get on here and get some advice.

So what should I do next? My plan was powderd Dirtex for all the trim and the walls, but if I need to do it on the ceiling too...HOW?

Thanks in advance for any help offered. And if you say I need to buy scaffolding, I'll buy it. I just didn't want to have to store it!

Comments (6)

• patricianat
    11 years ago

Call a professional.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Scoffolding can be rented and delivered, but are you sure you need it? Why isn't the paint sticking? Textured ceilings are a pain to clean which is why i have never done it! Beyond sweeping it or vacuuming it, I believe it would be overkill to actually use a liquid cleaner for an average ceiling if you just want to paint. For textured ceilings you need to use larger nap roller covers like 3/4" and put the paint on pretty heavy to get into all the crevices. The best way is to get a rolling pole and roll the ceiling from the ground after the perimeter is cut in.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm glad to hear you don't worry, paintguy. My guys (more like handymen) did not believe in cleaning walls first unless there was a lot of grease or nicotine. 25 year old paint on the walls. One of the ceilings was stucco.

• mamacotti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, paintguy! I think my problem may have been that after I cut in with a brush, I painted most of the ceiling with a 1" nap roller on an extension pole. ( I did get the good Purdy one.) I will say it got heavy fast, so I probably applied different pressures. Then I'd go to the ladder and shorter poles.

And then, then next day to finish I used a 3/4" roller, and for touch-ups I'd grab a brush.

As far as the paint not sticking by the crown, I suspect the old caulk may have been silicone?

Glad to hear I don't need scaffolding! And I would call in a pro, but I thought this would be an easy enough job that I could tackle myself, and save the pros for actual construction stuff. I guess a pro would have finished long, long before I ever will, tho!

So...maybe different applicators and different pressures are the problem? Sometimes in certain light it almost looks like I used different sheens, but it's all the SW ceiling paint, Wool Skein. I think I'll call this the first coat, and go over it all again with the same roller nap!

Again, thanks so much!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

If it is silicon, paint will never stick to it and it should never have been there in the first place. IMO ,SW ceiling paint is not the best choice. I have always had to apply 2 and 3 coats, not good for a ceiling paint. I would switch to Promar 2oo in a flat if you have to use SW

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Well for me, 3/4 inch is usually good enough for texture. I would only use a 1 inch nap if the texture was very extreme. It is important to keep a wet edge at all times though and put the paint on heavy. Yea, you shouldn't touch up with different nap sizes and if you are going to use a brush to touch up, dab the paint on to simulate the roller stipple effect....never actually brush it on, unless it's on the edge of course.