Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Widely-available alternative to Acrylacq?

Posted by andalee (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 14:23

I'm dizzy from all of the descriptions of various clear finishes for wood, and their various pro's & con's. Does anyone know of something as safe as (or nearly so) Acrylacq, but widely available? We're finishing pine T&G for the ceiling before putting it up, and I just can't bear to google anymore . . . I need an intelligent life form with experience to add a reasonable opinion. ;o)

Any thoughts?

(Cross-posted to the woodworking forum, because I'm desperate. :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Widely-available alternative to Acrylacq?

Old-fashioned shellac? Like Zinsser Sealcoat. Available everywhere, 100% non-toxic. It contains ethanol, but that's not considered a VOC. Four coats easily applied per day.
FWIW
Casey

o
RE: Widely-available alternative to Acrylacq?

Really good idea Casey. The main drawback to shellac is that it gets easily damaged by water or alcohal marks from drinks etc, but nobody is going to be eating on the ceiling. If you don't want much darkening, you use the clear or use the yellow to get a golden tone.

However, the op may be concerned with just the smell which would be strong if used inside although if andelle drinks, then this could be called one on the house. The nice thing is that it dries almost instantly and one could easily work outdoors on some sawhorses. One shouldn't have to worry about bugs and dust because of the drying speed and any problems can be sanded down in a flash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here