Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texturing wall with roller

Posted by redawg77 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 13:44

We had some pretty bad late 80's wallpaper in our kitchen that we have removed (thankfully the walls were primed first!). So now we have a smooth wall that we would like to texture orange peel to match most of the remainder of the house. I'm not to keen on the idea of masking off 95% of the kitchen to cover about 200 square feet of wall with spray texture (our kitchen is mostly cabinets and windows). So..

I got a few hits on the web regarding texturing with a paint roller, but fewer good how tos than I would have liked. Can I expect to be able to achieve a consistent, fine texture using this method? I was leaning towards using a 1/2" nap roller and thinned out wall mud. I have heard that the looped wire rollers are a waste of money.

Of course, I'll try it first on plywood or cardboard, but I was wondering if anyone on here had attempted this texture method, and if they had any pointers to share.

Thanks!
-Will

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texturing wall with roller

I've never been a fan of texture-additives to paint.
I actually discourage our customers from doing this....even though we sell some of this! Final results are often too heavy and/or uneven.

WAY to hard to keep even for a person who's never done it!

Masking-off an area doesn't take long.

Make DA*N sure the wall is cleaned & primed anew. THEN do the texture!!!

I've gotten very good at doing areas with the Spray-texture cans. I've got some tips on some threads here....
I can't even find my repaired areas!

Faron

o

What sheen are you considering. You may be able to get an orange peel with just a 3/4" nap and a satin or semi-gloss.
I also don't like the thought of actual texture paint. Once you do that, it's very difficult to change.

o

I would like to do a light-to-medium orange peel. I am in no way considering textured paint, as I have heard the horror stories.

The spray can option is interesting. I have considered that, and may give it a try. I've had very good results matching existing texture when doing patches. I could probably cover what I need to in my kitchen with 4 or 5 cans. Thanks for the replies!

o

My husband did our whole spare bedroom with Homz orange peel spray can texture. He started with the water-based stuff and didn't like it (I think those are the areas that look a bit drippy) and finished with the oil-based. I don't like the look as well as our professionally done living room, to be honest, but for a bedroom, it's certainly good enough and not blatantly different.

My friend's mother used the thinned dry wall mud on a paint roller technique, and they got what she describes as a "cantaloupe-like" texture. She doesn't mind it, but it doesn't seem that it resembles orange peel. I imagine the amount of thinning and the kind of roller cover you use could make a difference in your final result.

o

Went ahead and used a 1/2 inch roller with satin paint (SW SuperPaint, not texture paint), and it turned out very nice. It's a bit finer than orange peel, but it's close to what I was going for. Looks very nice.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here