Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

Apply primer with a roller on small area?

tom418
12 years ago

I'm touching up areas around newly installed outlet and switch boxes.

My spackling (with joint compound)came out great. I decided to use Zinnser primer before I painted with Ben Moore.

Problem: So as to get a "textured look" around the boxes to match the rest of the wall, (painted with a roller), I used one of those small rollers after applying the primer with a brush. The roller seems to have created tiny "craters" in the surface. Naturally, I didn't follow suit on the remaining five switch boxes.

Questions: Can I second coat with primer (with brush?), or should I re-apply compound, sand, ans start over?

Will I be able to try a roller again with the actual color coat?

Could by roller be defective? Not enough paint (I may not have "loaded" the roller properly, due to the very small nature of the job)?

NOTE: The only reason I'm using the roller is to attempt to blend the touch up work with the rest of the wall. I used 150 and 220 paper to sand the compound, and don't have the

texture that the rest of the painted wall has from roller use.

Are the craters I see the result of the compound being removed by primer? If so, how come I didn't have the same problem after applying primer with my 1 inch sash brush?

Thanks.

Comments (2)