Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM Advance paint chipping off

Posted by mleeb17 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 13:20

Hello....looking for some help! I currently have painted cabinets with BM Satin Impervo. The painter I had never painted the insides so I have decided to tackle this myself. Also in the process I decided to use a slightly different color (White Dove instead of stock white)....which has lead me to have to do a touch up coat on the outsides. I was highly recommended to use the newer Advance paint due to less odors with 2 small kids at home. I was told by a painter I could paint right over the Impervo with Advance but I'm finding it easily scratches off with a finger nail. Any thoughts on doing it this way? Maybe I should do the outsides with the Impervo and insides with Advance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM Advance paint chipping off

If it is scratching off - a layer of paint did not adhere to the previous layer of paint.

o

Did you let it cure for 30 days?
I thought not.

o

Latex, oil, or hybrid, hard-curing enamel paints are only hard once they've cured.

If you just painted your cabinets hours, days, or even a few weeks ago, they absolutely will scratch off with a fingernail if that's what you set out to do. If the previous Impervo coat was gloss, scuffing the existing paint would have been well-advised, but even then your current dilemma is not necessarily poor adhesion. Uncured enamel will be damaged if you subject it to damage.

Always make sure to read the directions for the products you're using. In the case of Advance, Benjamin Moore advises that painted surfaces should be out of use for at least 3-5 days, and that full hardness may not occur for 30 days. (The same directions also apply to most enamels.) If you're still having issues at that 30 day mark, then there's a cause for concern.

Until then, quit digging at it with your fingernails. ;)

o

Until then, quit digging at it with your fingernails. ;)

you got it

o

ok ok I'll stop scratching it. It has only been 7-10 days since I painted. Thank you for your responses.

o

lol, what did we ever do with.out the internet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here