Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting exterior brick - what's realistic?

Posted by chris_ont (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 12:47

Hi
I have a little brick-sided bungalow. It's been painted white for quite some time.
The paint is flaking off, in some places in rather large chunks, revealing a more yellowed white paint beneath.

I would imagine that, although I could scrape or blast off most of the loose flakes, it would just continue to flake.

Someone who has done quite a bit of painting said that, if done properly (removing old paint, priming, painting etc), it would probably be just as cost effective to get vinyl siding on the house (windows and soffits are fine)

A neighbour in a similar situation just routinely scrapes off the loose stuff and repaints with exterior latex. This then (I'm guessing) would have to be done every few years.

Cost-wise, is it true that even if I do the work myself, I'd end up paying a huge sum just in paint materials? (Considering that siding is done only once)

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting exterior brick - what's realistic?

A can of good exterior paint costs roughly $50 and covers about 400 square feet. You can do the math and call a local vinyl siding dealer for a comparison. But in my opinion, you would be reducing the value of your house by covering the brick with vinyl siding.

I would rather look at flaking paint than vinyl siding.

o
RE: Painting exterior brick - what's realistic?

Yeah, the person who suggested you get put vinyl siding on your house? Don't ever talk to them again - about anything.

Any cost savings you gain in the materials of the project you run the risk of losing in equity. There is nothing good about the words bungalow and vinyl together in the same sentence. Nothing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here