Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammockdreamer_gw

Expensive disaster

HammockDreamer
10 years ago

I am brand new here because I need help! My husband and I just paid to have our home painted...and it is horrendous. I have spent yrs painting and decorating interiors, but I am obviously a fail with exteriors. I chose "Apricot Butter" for the base house color with white for the trim and red doors. In retrospect, I see our error was in testing only on the back side of the house (which I still like). However, the front side (for all the world to see) is school bus orangey/yellow. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to have it professionally repainted. I will have to try to do it myself - I don't know if just changing the trim and doors would help or not. I have sobbed for 4 days now....Please help!

Comments (22)

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

Stop crying please- it's not that bad. I would paint the garage door white as you have been contemplating. That would soften the brightness of the house quite a bit. Although it might break up the line of the house a bit you could also paint below the trim line white as well. A few smaller evergreen hedges would also look nice in front. I like the color of the door so I would not change that. Good luck are really please don't be so upset by this. Lime green I would be upset about.

• Acadiafun
    10 years ago

BTW- I put your photo up on the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer and painted the doors and below the trim white and it looked pretty good. You can try out some colors to see what you like

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint visualizer

• Michael
    10 years ago

Paint the garage door white along with jambs and door stops.

Paint the entrance door jambs white to draw more attention to the entrance.

Plant some shrubs.

• HammockDreamer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I think it was just the expense that pushed me over the edge! I agree more white - definitely for the garage door would help. I'll be going to the nursery this weekend to look for shrubs! The painter said he thought I should add brown to the posts???

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

The painter said he thought I should add brown to the posts???

no way

• Michael
    10 years ago

Take a picture of the house with you when you visit the garden center. Get some advice on colors, textures, heights, etc.

Envision a Terracotta rose bush near the front entrance. :)

This post was edited by brushworks on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 9:02

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I kinda like it. The color looks really nice with your roof.

Agree about the white garage door and landscaping.

Agree with Chris, no brown.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I agree with more white. Maybe doing the front door in a green color rather than the red.

No offense but the red in conjuction with the rest of the color looks like a peach pit.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Well when your painter guy said "add brown" - did he actually mean paint the wood a solid dark chocolatey brown. Or did he mean add a touch of brown TO THE WHITE PAINT - which would make it a creamier, more beigey, less stark shade of white - which would I think actually help to subdue the yellow somewhat because there wouldn't be such a stark contrast between it and the white, and between the brown roof and the white. Colors are very much about how they relate to the colors around them - sometimes there is some trial and error involved - no way around that.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I agree, a softer white would tone things down. Do you have a better pic, it's blurry on my screen?

Jane

• Faron79
    10 years ago

DEFINITELY agreeing with Fun-C, Brush, & Chrisn...

White garage-door, white entry-area jams, and attractive landscaping!
    Well-chosen plantings/textures visually "anchor" a home to its surroundings. A couple medium-sized pots with appropriate plants/flowers at the sides of the garage-doors would "soften" that wide space as well!

Faron

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I think it's a cute house with a front door that needs to be painted. If you could change only one thing, I would say it should be that red door. I agree with the garage door (or the gable above it) and front entry trim white and the front door green (or blue). No to the brown post idea here too.

Definitely add some landscaping along the front. I would do either a low hedge and some low flowering plants in front or a mixed flower bed with a tall bush or small ornamental tree with a birdbath in the corner. Try to use varying shades of greens and more pink, purple and white in your flowers (cool colors) rather than oranges and reds. I think you'll be fine.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

It would not be that hard to re-paint one side of the house. Most of it can be done from a folding ladder. You do it in sections, a couple hours here and there, and you are done. The hard part, the prep work, has already been done.

Painting isn't hard when you are doing it on your own schedule. You plan so that you are not painting in the sun. You pace yourself, you don't hurry, and you quit before you are tired.

This is not a big job.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I agree with the advice so far to try a creamier white. Like the idea of a blue door (since i have one) or a green door. I tried a few examples below on the Behr app. No im not endorsing them but their app is pretty good for experimenting with colors. The color is bright but i like it. Its cheerful and looks like they did an excellent job which is something to consider. Below is a similar color to you house with grasshopper wing on the door and linen white trim. All colors are behr.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

And here's door in windsor haze. Here the garage door is linen white too which minimizes house color.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

And lastly door in marsh creek with linen white trim. The suggestion to add some foundation plantings was a good one and i would add nice tan mulch or rock to draw the eye away from all the yellow/orange of the house.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

Sorry this is the windsor haze door.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

I think it is a beautiful, sunny, happy color and a nice looking house. My idea? Read all the posts here but do nothing for two weeks. By then the 'new' will have worn off a little .
    Then, reread all the posts again and see what you think.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

What the above poster said, and also bear in mind that it can take a week for paint to completely dry and then you get the true color (pigments dry at different rates).

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    10 years ago

I love the main color. I like the suggestions of painting the garage door white, and making the door area light sage green, I would edit that slightly, and say make the entry area trim (everything except the door) white, and make the door the light sage green. However, I wouldn't paint below that bottom trim white, white at ground level is a nightmare to keep clean, every time it rains dirt splatters up on it. (but maybe you live somewhere that there isn't much rain (or dirt)? I think it's really pretty except for the dark red entry. I don't have anything against red entries either, I'm currently painting mine red, just with that yellow and in as much shadow as you have, plus the style of the house, it doesn't work for you.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I think your house is beautiful; I love the color. Still, painting the garage door and below the trim a creamy white would lesson the "Pop!" factor. But I love the "Pop!" factor.

There are several bright yellow houses with white trim and various green or red doors in my part of the county. They always appear to be so "happy!"

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I think it is fresh and cheery...definitely agree that a bit of landscaping and a different color on the garage door are needed. No need to cry- it just needs some tweaking!