Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Shellac be used over Polyurethane?

Posted by archie123 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 12:11

We moved into a house with pine floors. I need to clean up some of the floors.
I would like to steel wool and then reseal these floors. Can I use Shellac over the Polyurethane? Really I'm not that sure if poly or shellac are on the existing floor. Is there a way to tell?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Shellac be used over Polyurethane?

Shellac will always dissolve with alcohol, meaning that if you can soak a rag in denatured alcohol and rub off the finish to the point where it changes the sheen [dull] than it's probably shellac. If it's poly I suggest staying with poly. It might also be old style [oleoresinous] varnish, depending on the age of the finish. Does it scratch easily? If it has maintained it's shine pretty well it's probably poly and i would test a spot before shellacing the whole floor.

o

Jumpilotmdm
Great advice - Thank you
Archie

o

The problem is that denatured alcohol will also disolve water based finishes and many floors are being finished now with water based topcoats. It will take a bit more elbow grease though to dull the sheen of a water based finish though with alcohol. I think it is highly unlikely though that your floors are finished with shellac unless it's an old finish. Also, why use steel wool? Just sand it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here