Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting aluminum patio door...

Posted by flyleft (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 12:02

We have a chance to get an unused Jeld-Wen patio door at a *serious* discount, but we'd need to paint the outside of it...and I've searched "aluminum" here and found some recommendations--I'm just hoping for confirmation that the same things used to paint aluminum siding can be used to paint a new aluminum door that happens to have another color on it...use an aluminum-specific primer, then the right paint and it should work?

Jeld-Wen provides touch-up paint in its colors, so I can probably use that, if I can get enough of it. If not, what would people consider the best aluminum primer and paint?

Thanks. This can save us over $1K if I'm willing and able to paint it to match the other windows...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
ps RE: painting aluminum patio door...

It's fir on the inside--this would be paint only on the outside, and the exposure is pretty minimal--it's well protected. But it still needs to be hardy.

o
RE: painting aluminum patio door...

fly,

Any quality spray enamel for metal will work well. Of course, a dull surface is always best, followed by a coat of primer.

I recommend Rust-Oleum Brands.

Choose the Clean Metal Primer and any topcoat from the protective enamel selections.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Protective Enamel

o
RE: painting aluminum patio door...

Michael, *thanks*! We'd have to dull the surface down, but it's brand new so we wouldn't have to clean it. But as we went to see it, I realized I'm not all that thrilled by it--it was a step down from what I was led to believe it was. Ah, such are the vagaries of craigslist...but I'll keep your advice in mind if we end up buying something else like it. I was specifically hoping you'd see my post and reply, actually :) Hope everyone is well and safe in your kin circle :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here