Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onlygirlsmom

Dry Time on Front Door

onlygirlsmom
12 years ago

We are going to paint our front door. We plan on taking it off the hinges to paint it. We can hang a piece of plastic in place of the door while we're painting it but what do you do overnight if the door still feels tacky? This is a new door that has already been primed. We plan on getting it painted first thing in the morning (well, after humidity and dew is gone) to allow it as much time as possible to dry. Our fear is that it won't be dry by night (it says 4-6 hrs after it can be handled, 24 hours totally dry). It's the front door to our house so can't just not have a door overnight. thoughts?

Comments (5)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Not knowing exactly what kind of door yu have, it's usually best to paint it in place on its hinges. You must manhandle the door to rehang it, and the paint will usually get thumbprints from it. I remove the weatherstripping so even when the door is closed, it's not in contact with the frame at all. You can secure it in place with a shim on the edge to ensure that it cannot rattle back and forth. My meaning is that you can close the door as soon as you finish the last stroke of the brush.
    I prefer to use oil paint, and found a brand of polyurethane enamel that will set up to touch in about 6 hours. The weatherstrips can go back in the following day.
    If there is other work going on at the property, it's best to make sure no dust-generating activities are carried out nearby, and barricade it well; caution tape, x-ed boards, sawhorses, open threats of violence; whatever it takes. Tie up the dog, and lock the cat in a safe room, etc..
    Casey

• onlygirlsmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

great idea! Thanks so much! It's a metal door. What brand is that oil paint that you have used?

• graywings123
    12 years ago

If taking the door off the hinges is a better way to paint, there are things you can do to secure the open area. You could get a piece of cheap fiberboard and place it against the inside frame with a chest of drawers behind it. Or you could cover the open area with heavy plastic and ask the police to do drive-bys of your house.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

Be careful. The factory primer is just to make it look better while it's sitting in the rack. it can do more harm than good if it's too old, therefore to do the best I would re-prime.
    If i was doing it myself it would be a first quality acrylic finish coat. i would only use oils if I was letting my body man do the job. Acrylic will dry in 45 minutes but will need 2 weeks to CURE, so be careful in that amount of time if you're going to close it tightly, less of a concern if you re-prime.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Re prime and do NOT use oil for the exterior, that is just wrong.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz