Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susandt_gw

looking for a light true yellow paint plus ?

susandt
15 years ago

would love to see picture. ? i thought there was a way to view photos via color but i can't figure it out.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

A light true yellow color probably wouldn't be a good choice for a wall color. In most cases any way. Guess it depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish, why you want to find a "true" light yellow.

Yellow as a paint color can be wicked. Yellow is one of the most intense hues in the spectrum and its the one paint color that most people have the most trouble getting right. More often than not, a yellow that looks great as a paint chip ends up being way too intense, bright, overwhelming and visually assaulting. Yellow's intensity grows exponentially with the more area it covers. Tiny little yellow paint chip + expanse of walls = OMG what was I thinking.

If I was standing along side you at the paint chip display and you said that you wanted a light true yellow, we'd step away from the yellow section and start noodling amongst the beige, tan, and *whites* color chips. Looking for paint chips that had a slant of yellow that was easy to notice, pick up on, detect. This is an example of how I would define a light true yellow paint. It's Jersey Cream from Sherwin Williams and it is one of my favorite yellows to spec. Just enough punch of yellow for most exposures of light, yet it's not so obnoxious it overwhelms.

• randita
    15 years ago

funcolors has got it right. Jersey Cream is what I'd call a "sophisticated" yellow (nice for grown ups). If you want a good yellow for a rec room, laundry room or young person's room, check out SW Butter Up.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

ooooh! I love Butter Up too. That's a good one as well. I actually put that on an exterior in Sunnyvale, California. Loved it - a butter up house in Sunnyvale, CA just sounds right to me. :D And Faron it was mixed in C2 exterior!

• mjsee
    15 years ago

This is gonna sound crazy...but take a look at the Ben Moore Affinity color "subtle". Newsflash...one can now get the Affinity colors in ANY of the Ben Moore paints...doesn't have to be Aura.

• trk65
    15 years ago

I'd rather have a non-affinity color in Aura than an Affinity color in any other BM paint, personally.

• mjsee
    15 years ago

I'd rather have a non-affinity color in Aura than an Affinity color in any other BM paint, personally.

And I'd have agreed with you...Unitl I had my front hall painted. Long hall...open stair well...full wall of glass...and it didn't matter how careful they were, or how fast they painted...or how long they waited between coats...

Sheen issues. It was fine as long as one wasn't looking down the wall...but down the wall? SERIOUSLY problematic. Painted it out in Regal and it was fine.

I think the big windows made it dry way faster than normal, making it almost impossible to get it laid down properly.

SO...lesson learned...no Aura in those lighting conditions. And no, I can't post a picture. I did everything I could to GET a picture...wouldn't show up. (I wanted to talk to the BM rep about it.)

• trk65
    15 years ago

That's interesting. I think Regal is great paint, but Aura has surpassed it for me. Nothing is perfect, though, and I'm glad you found a solution.
    I guess my point was more that I'm not in love with the affinity pallette with only a few exceptions (notably the reds and deep browns). The colors are either wimpy at the light end of the deck or oversaturated on the dark end. There really isn't a nice straight-up neutral in the bunch- not one. (Maybe that's the point.) After my first room done in Aura I was so hooked that I really wanted to love the pallette-hey, it was designed for the paint, right? Then I tried to find a decent green in affinity-everything was either too potent or leaned too brown. Affinity colors seem to be great for color "statements" like accent walls, powder rooms, etc. , but all of my favorite BM and SW colors don't have any counterparts in affinity that are even remotely close.
    All of the rooms I have done in Aura since the red dining room (yeah, I know, predictable) have been either regular BM colors or matches to SW.