Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Problem painting surfaces

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

My house is 100 yrs old �" have been doing 100 yrs worth of plaster repair and after about 7 years (seriously!) IâÂÂm almost ready to paint. The surface throughout the house is a hodgepodge of new plaster (cured at least 30 days), drywall patches with skim coat over it, large areas of original plaster where paint chipped off leaving original dark brown and dark green paint (some calcimine, some oil), other areas with more modern latex layers (white) still attached. Some of the surface I would call chalky �" some of the original plaster repair I did about 8 years ago with Easy-sand as the top layer and the primer and paint I put over it doesnâÂÂt really adhere very well �" itâÂÂs peeling off in places. That stuff is so soft it rubs off on my hand �" is it supposed to be like that?

I read about Gardz but its confusing �" some of it seems to be specifically for damaged drywall and it says that on the label �" other descriptions have it being more of a generic problem surface primer �" which is it?

Or, any other suggestions? I happen to have a can of Peel Stop but that only seems to apply to the chalky stuff.

Thanks! ItâÂÂs the end of an era �" 7 years of prep work! Want to be sure I donâÂÂt EVER have to do it again (well, not to this degree.)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths