Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Sherwin Williams ?s

cfmuehling
13 years ago

Hi all!

For many reasons, not in the least the discount I get, I am most likely going to use SW paints in every room in my house -- as soon as I get the drywall up, trim down, blah blah.

I'd like to know what the SW equivalents, if any, would be:

Regular primer:

I understand from many pros, that kilz is made for drywall and the best to use. I happen to have 5gals of this, anyway, so I'll use it. Unless otherwise advised, is there a better SW primer for walls?

Primer for cabs:

I keep reading STIX. SW Equivalent?

Primer for trim:

I don't have any trim yet, so I'm open to opinions on trim itslef, preprimed, bare wood, poly, whatever, then how to treat it best.

Paint for cabs & trim:

I keep reading Cabinet Coat and am pretty convinced this is the way I'll need to go.

However, does SW have something like this?

I've also recently been advised to use marine paint on my trim, and also Duroclad. The painters say this is hard & clean. Opinions? Equivalents?

Oh - and finally:

Behr advertises a primer & paint product. Is there something SW sells that would be the same for ceilings? I'm very short and moving that *@)#*@ ladder makes me crazy. Once would be best.

Before you suggest it, I've talked with two SW locations. I haven't given up, but the prepubescent, monosylabic, texting teenagers manning the stores were carelly consistant in recommending that I talk with someone who knows. Bobbing heads in agreement, they suggested, "Yeah, dude. That'd be the way to go."

Kind of discouraging, but I read they're an excellent product & finances are insanely important. (I just got heat installed, 6 years after a house fire.) I want to do things once, right, and without regrets.

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Christine

Comments (7)

• brendainnj
    13 years ago

Well, I'm only chiming in because no one more knowledgeable has yet...I've used most of the SW line and have been pretty pleased with it. I use the ProClassic on all my trim, although some people have said it's difficult to use on cabinets. I would probably look more into Cabinet Coat. I would stay away from any product that claims to be paint/primer in one...pretty much the consensus here. I used their Superpaint flat for my ceiling & am very pleased. No more dingy "ceiling white"!

My biggest surprise about your post however, is your experience at your local SW store. My experience has been nothing like that & from what I've picked up around here, yours is quite the exception. My SW guys are sooo helpful & friendly; I know when I go in to ask a question I'll get some real help. It's something I would let the "higher-ups" at SW know for sure--can probably get in touch from their website. I'm sure much of their business depends on a knowledgeable sales staff.

BTW, my local SW store is planning a 40% sale the first week(?) of April...I think their sales are national, so check your store to be sure.

HTH!

• chispa
    13 years ago

Good to know about the sale! I am very disappointed in the employees at the local paint stores here in CA, both SW and BM. Used to live in MA and the employees there were very good. I was spoiled with a local family owned store with long term, experienced employees.

The local BM here in CA had a 20-something kids working on the weekend. Cute, friendly kid, but he gave me better information on the local skiing spots!!! The older man at SW made me feel like I was bothering them by spending a few hundred dollars at the store!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did a bit of research on Cabinet Coat and ended up at a local, Regal Paint in Annapolis. Much to my surprise they were a BM store.

However, this great fellow named Jim(bo) was able to take my cabinet paint and actually tint Cabinet Coat to almost an exact match. "Almost" is OK because I like the slight difference better than my Duron color I've been using.

They also carried STIX! I scored a double hit in one visit.

Thanks for the advice on the sale, because I'll definately need paint. I have 8 rooms of bare drywall to prime (well, first I need to put up and finish the drywall in some) and paint. I have an idea of my colors, so this is great news.

Then I have to talk about trim. But that's another couple zillion dollars. [LOL]

C.

• brede
    13 years ago

I'm renovating/updating a home, and using SW paint exclusively.

I've used just the regular Drywall Primer; I always thought Kilz was for stain blocking. I've used Kilz where I needed it, but regular drywall primer is what I've used for both ceilings and walls.

I use the Pro Classic in semi-gloss for trim and doors. It has a nice, soft sheen, is easy to use, and appears to dry with no brush marks.

For a "heavy duty" primer for cabinets, I'd go with the Adhesion Primer. I'm using this on my trim, as recommended by a SW employee, because the previous owners painted latex over oil without proper preparation. So now I'm sanding, scraping and priming all my trim. :-/

For my ceilings, I primed with the regular drywall primer, then rolled on two coats of a basic flat in Pure White. The "ceiling paint" colors that SW has on the color cards is too blue-toned, but the Pure White is absolutely lovely.

Not only does Sherwin-Williams have sales, but if you sign up online for information on sales/promotions, you will often get coupons that you can print off and use even when there isn't a sale. I haven't paid full-price for any of the products yet. I just used a 30% off coupon that I got through e-mail, that also gave 15% off on painting supplies.

• brede
    13 years ago

I'm renovating/updating a home, and using SW paint exclusively.

I've used just the regular Drywall Primer; I always thought Kilz was for stain blocking. I've used Kilz where I needed it, but regular drywall primer is what I've used for both ceilings and walls.

I use the Pro Classic in semi-gloss for trim and doors. It has a nice, soft sheen, is easy to use, and appears to dry with no brush marks.

For a "heavy duty" primer for cabinets, I'd go with the Adhesion Primer. I'm using this on my trim, as recommended by a SW employee, because the previous owners painted latex over oil without proper preparation. So now I'm sanding, scraping and priming all my trim. :-/

For my ceilings, I primed with the regular drywall primer, then rolled on two coats of a basic flat in Pure White. The "ceiling paint" colors that SW has on the color cards is too blue-toned, but the Pure White is absolutely lovely.

Not only does Sherwin-Williams have sales, but if you sign up online for information on sales/promotions, you will often get coupons that you can print off and use even when there isn't a sale. I haven't paid full-price for any of the products yet. I just used a 30% off coupon that I got through e-mail, that also gave 15% off on painting supplies.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I agree Kilz is for stain blocking. Kilz2, the latex version, is a pretty crappy general purpose stain blocking primer that blocks no stains either. I'm surprised any professional painter would call it the 'best to use'.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny.
    I know more than a normal share of painters because my STBX is a general contractor.
    Not one of them did not recommend Kilz on bare drywall.
    Well, having 5 gals of it, and how well it does prime? I'm going to use it.

Ceilings. Gawd, I hate 'em. First I have to sand them, and at 5'2" they're not getting done in the time they should.

Pure White, though. Good to know!