Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux wood garage door

Posted by Patrish10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 10:19

I have watched many youtube videos about faux painting a wood look garage door, but don't know what products to use. As a practice I put on a base coat of light orange, put on a walnut stain, but it simply ran off. I then tried the same base coat with a rust color paint mixed with flotrol, but not good either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. In case it matters, it's a double car alum/textured with panels
Thanks
Patrish10

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux wood garage door

You need to prep the surface by scrubbing it really well, rinse, let it dry.

Don't mix paint types - if the primer is water-based, use water-based paints for the color coats. If the primer is solvent-based, use solvent-based paints.

You will get the best results with a roller for the first color coat, then apply the "grain" paints with a brush and the faux-painting tools

===========
Try this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rSZHQkfUFw

Here is a link that might be useful: Primer for aluminum

o

We painted our garage door and the BM guys suggested we use stix primer to make sure the paint would adhere to the metal first, then paint over it.

o

Not to be a "Danny-downer", but I'd think about this a few times....

If not done well, it looks like H=LL IMO.

On my M-I-L's condo, they had done some "wood-graining" on steel passage doors....Uggghhhh....almost hurled every time I saw them. You may hurt resale-value some too.

If you HAVE to do it, use ZAR stains.
You'll need protective topcoats too, such as a Spar Polyurethane, since the ZAR is an Oil-based stain.

NOT tryin' to be harsh here, but there's 7,000 projects I'd do b4 this one.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here