Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamojean

Low or no voc paint options

dreamojean
11 years ago

Any suggestions for a nice quality low voc or no voc interior paint? I'm considering a local "green store" (for nyc people it is Green Depot) homemade brand or yolo colorhouse and would love feedback from people who have tried one of those. Other options we have are Lowe's Valspar paint which our contractor likes but which is combination paint and primer for the lower voc make and our contractor is more used to using separate primer - or Home Depot behr or glidden brands. Or of course Benjamin Moore natura or regular, and I'm not sure whether to get a 5 gallon drum versus one gallon containers to save money. The local homemade brand is very reasonably priced but I'd love feedback first since we would have to go pick it up and it isn't that near us. Thanks for any feedback on any of these.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Any paint co will make a low voc paint. You will save some $ by going to a real paint store and asking

• Faron79
    11 years ago

This "Low-Voc" issue gets pretty exaggerated IMO.

Most paints the last few years have been changing their resins to get under the vague "threshold" to advertise as "Low-Voc".
    Consumer paints make up such an incredibly tiny percentage of atmospheric-VOC sources that it's almost laughable.

A separate point-
    Remember....VOC-levels & "Perceived odors" aren't even remotely related.

To the OP-
    I'm sorry, I don't have any direct experience with the brands you listed. My hands have "literally" been in the 2 ACE lines, Ralph-Lauren, & C2 for many years now. These have all been Low-VOC for at least a couple years. RL has been L-V for over 5 years now....

Also-
    There is really no such thing as P-n-P in one. Improved paint resins that "behave" more like primers enable these VERY loosely based ad-themes!!! Since Behr started this silliness ~5yrs. ago, I've been rolling my eyes...

Faron

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I had good results with sherwin williams harmony

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

I had good results with sherwin williams harmony

• cindallas
    10 years ago

You have probably made your decision by now, but just for the record, I've had great results with Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Zero VOC. Love the Lo Sheen finish for the walls which is more of a matte look than pure flat with with a soft finish that is just above their flat without showing all of the scuffs that the Flat gets. And the next sheen up is their Eg-Shel which was too glossy for me. Most lines do not have Lo Sheen finish. As a bonus, it is also less expensive than their Harmony, Duration and Emerald line and went on great. Just perfect for what I was wanting. Is is my preferred wall paint due to the finish and low VOC.

For ceilings, I liked their ProMar 400 Zero VOC, and their flat is more of a flat than the 200 line and great at hiding ceiling flaws and even less expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams interior paint lineup

• jodokus
    10 years ago

Glidden Professional Lifemaster zero VOC. I think it's the best paint on the market. (This is not the Glidden paint you see at HD. You have to go to the professional store to get it). I first used it about 12 years ago, back before low/zero VOC became all the rage, and was incredibly impressed by it. (Back then it was called Dulux instead of Glidden). Absolutely no odor and it's extremely high-quality paint.

BM Aura also very good.