Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Vinyl Shutters

Posted by funnysunny (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 9:57

I have a couple of questions about painting my faded green vinyl shutters blue.

-Is soap and water good enough to clean the shutters? Or do I need to use a certain product to thoroughly clean the shutters?

-Should the shutters be primed?

-What type of paint should I use? Is BM Regal Select Exterior paint ok?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Vinyl Shutters

Id go a step further with the cleaning process since you really want the shutters prepared well. Try using 1 part bleach to 5 parts water and a brush. This should do the trick avoid 409 or fantastic, I have heard. good luck

o
RE: Painting Vinyl Shutters

Depending on the type of plastic used, some types of vinyl shutters simply will not hold paint. However, if they have weathered they may have enough texture to hold a coating. You should indeed prime (BM Fresh Start 046 works well) after a thorough cleaning and rinsing. RS exterior should work fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here