Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill314_gw

Stripping paint from door and window frames

jill314
10 years ago

Our house was built in 1937 and most of the door and window frames are a dark wood (which I assume is stained, but I don't know that for sure, and I don't know what species of wood it is). However, the kitchen cabinets were painted at some point in the past, and at that time, the door frame and window frame in the kitchen were painted to match. I'd like to strip the paint as part of a kitchen renovation, if possible. What do I need to know?

I have no idea when it was painted, how many times (there might be multiple layers of paint), or anything else except that it's painted now and I don't want it to be. Please help. :)

Comments (9)

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I have two thoughts: Remove the doors and drawers, and use ZipStrip - outside - when the weather is nicer. Then all you have to do inside are the face frames. There is also a product called Peel Away - doesn't have methychloride (as does ZipStrip).

The other solution: Get an estimate from a company that replaces kitchen cabinet doors / drawer fronts.

IMO - all the work of removing the doors / stripping / sanding / painting / and rehanging - it might be more attractive to get the doors replaced.

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear; we are definitely replacing cabinets. This is just for the door frame and the window frame. I mentioned the cabinets because they were painted at the same time as the door and window frames; however, we are not stripping the paint from the cabinets.

So, we can't take the door and window frames outside. Does that mean ZipStrip is not an option? Would Peel Away be the recommendation instead? Thank you!

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

ZipStrip is a thick product (stays in place) that will remove paint. It contains methylchloride, which has to be used with good ventiation - open doors / windows. It is very effective in removing paint. Depending upon how many layers, if may take more than one application. I finish the stripping by applying ZipStrip and use steel wool to remove the last particles of finish.

Peel Away doesn't have fumes. You brush it on, cover with a plastic/paper film, and let it set a day or two. I've had good luck with it too.

For either one you need good rubber gloves, eye protection. Also you need to mask and cover the places where you don't want the paint removed.

Have found this to be a sharp scraper than can get into the crevices:

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out this Spectrum Razor Scraper

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

1937? First thing that comes to my mind is LEAD PAINT.

I would advise you to consult a professional paint contractor who is certified in lead abatement/remediation/renovation/repair before you do ANYTHING.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA on lead paint

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for that link, funcolors! It turns out that the contractor who renovated bathrooms for us a couple of years ago is on the list of certified renovation firms, so maybe I will ask him about the paint before I do anything else.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

It doesn't make any difference if it's lead paint - the ZipStrip or Peel Away removes the paint in a semi liquid form. There is no sanding dust from the paint.

You can sand the wood after the paint has been stripped.

We have gone completely overboard with this lead paint scare.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M Lead Check Swab

• jill314
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Geoffrey; someone else told me not to worry about the lead paint, but it is good to hear it again. And actually he recommended that same lead check that you linked to. (Always encouraging when you get the same advice from two very different sources!) Thanks for your help. :)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Posters on the Old House forum do a lot of paint scraping. You might want to do some reading over there.

I mostly use a heat gun and scraper. I use Smart Strip by Peel Away with plastic wrap for areas I don't want the heat gun near.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Forum