Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gunit00_gw

What would you do with this room?

gunit00
13 years ago

What would you do with this room?

Hi Folks,

I have a small room (12L*11W*7'4"H) with hardwood flooring. That needs a new paint job. I need some help picking the color(s) and types of paint. I just moved into this room and the current color scheme does not work well with me. I am looking for a color that will create an illusion of having a larger room. What do you think about accent walls? What do you think about paint finishes( high gloss, semi gloss, flat)? What brands do you recommend to work with?

I am all ears.

Here are some pics:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• gunit00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A little background info:My fav colors are light yellow, black, bright blue ( i know, terrible). I could not tell you my favorite designer. I would be willing to choose from a catalog if you have know of a website. I like furniture that looks sharp, modern, and efficient. I hate Bulky, and "traditional" style furniture.

Do you guys have any paint recommendation for window and door frames? Also, do you have any suggestions for the what order to use when paint painting a room ( i.e. what to paint first, second, etc..)? I am a newbie trying to do the best paint job I can.

What do you guys think about these colors SW6171 Chatroom and SW6163 Grassland?

• gunit00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A little background info:My fav colors are light yellow, black, bright blue ( i know, terrible). I could not tell you my favorite designer. I would be willing to choose from a catalog if you have know of a website. I like furniture that looks sharp, modern, and efficient. I hate Bulky, and "traditional" style furniture.

Do you guys have any paint recommendation for window and door frames? Also, do you have any suggestions for the what order to use when paint painting a room ( i.e. what to paint first, second, etc..)? I am a newbie trying to do the best paint job I can.

What do you guys think about these colors SW6171 Chatroom and SW6163 Grassland?

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I don't have any suggestions on specific colors, but I would suggest a flat finish for your ceiling and walls; I'd also suggest that you stay away from high gloss for trim since you say you are a newbie when it comes to painting.

Actually, you didn't say anything about painting the ceiling did you....but one thing you can do to make your room appear larger is to paint the ceiling and walls the same color. IMO an accent wall would accentuate the small size of your room -- not the effect you're going for.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

It has just occurred to me that ceiling color generally looks darker than it is due to the way light reflects off it. So instead of choosing the same shade for the ceiling as you choose for the walls, you might consider painting the ceiling in the wall color but diluted by some percentage.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

If there were a color that made rooms look larger, everyone would be using it. Forget that idea.

For a modern look, I would probably be looking at colors from Restoration Hardware. Maybe "Charcoal" from the Flint collection. Or Benjamin Moore paint color matched to the RH colors. You could maybe do an accent wall behind the bed in a darker color if you want to go that route, but the room is so small, I probably wouldn't do it. I would stay with a soft white for the trim.

Switching out those roll up shades for something more attractive would make a huge difference in that room.

You might want to post this in the Home Decorating forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration hardware paint

• gunit00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

:) I've decided to go with the SW6163 Harmony. And a white high gloss for the trim.

I just finished painting my room. I really like the way it turned out. I will post pics once I get the right blinds.

What color blinds do you think will go well with SW6163? I am leaning towards a white cellular blind but I am afraid it my look stark. Any suggestions?