Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

should I prime 'pre-primed' baseboard?

debbie1000
13 years ago

I have had new flooring and new 5 1/4 inch MDF pre-primed baseboard installed. I will be painting it white. (My painter had been contracted to do it but he disappeared and stopped returning my calls so I am on my own).

Is this pre-primed "enough"? I've read some things that the paint (water-based) won't go on as smoothly and will leave brush marks, etc if we don't prime again. Is that true or is it overkill?

If we should prime it,is any special brand or type that we should use? We will painting it with Valspar bright white (or something similar to that).

Also, if we prime again, should we caulk and repair nail holes before or after priming? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    13 years ago

prime again after repairs
    Ben Moore Fresh Start
    forget the Valspare and go to a real paint store for you're paint

• Faron79
    13 years ago

For BEST results...
    PRE-primed = RE-prime!

Factory primers aren't the best quality, and get dried-out too fast. Dirt from storage & transportation comes into play too.

Soooo-
    Scuff-sand with 100-grit, remove all dust, re-prime with a top-notch primer. Zinsser's 123 is good and easy to find.

>>> IF you're pretty fussy...
    Consider TWO prime-coats! This'll give ya a little cushion to sand the dried primer slightly (I'd suggest 120-grit here), making an IDEAL surface for a really smooth look!
    If ya do this, I'd wait half a day for the 2 coats to be sandable.

Faron

• Michael
    13 years ago

Double coat primed baseboard will resist chips. The primer is adhered to the board, the paint is adhered to the primer.

When I was "selling" repaints, I sold it as our "tough coat baseboard system".

Of course dull and clean is imperative!

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Typically latex based primers should be painted within 30 days of when the primer was applied. So I always re-prime pre-primed surfaces, knowing that more than 30 days has elapsed since that factory primer was applied.

In your case, you need to fill and sand the nail holes--so you will have to at least spot prime the repairs anyway. Might as well go ahead and re-prime the entire surface.

Also, be sure that you wipe down before priming/ re-priming. Because pre-primed surfaces have a way of latching onto any & all dirt & dust that comes close to it.