Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willinak

I have some Aura Paint questions...

willinak
13 years ago

I want to use the best, within reason, that I can find for a total condo remodel. Several BM dealers said to use Aura for everything. Of course it's double, or more the price, however if it's as good as they say then it might be worth it. Especially if it's purported resistance to color change and touch-up ease is true.

I'm more concerned about how it looks. I want a baby skin soft texture and I have a #4 smooth wall surface now. I saw examples in the eggshell and it looked hard and really shiny for eggshell, more like semi-gloss. So, I have the following questions:

1) Is the Matte really a flat finish or is it more like satin.

2) Does it produce a smooth finish (level) or does it tend to follow the texture of the roller?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Aura egg and matte both have a degree of sheen. Matte is not equivalent to a dead flat - in any brand, not just Aura.

Aura does level flat depending on who is doing the work and how it is being applying and the kind and quality of tools. Surface prep also contributes, as you well know since you know you have #4's. The potential for a slight 'orange-peel' final finish is there but can be avoided.

If you're choking a bit on Aura's price tag and you want and ultra smooth finish on your #4's you should look into Muralo's Ultra Ceramic.

Never seen anything like Muralo's U.C. Always said if I ever had brand spankin' new walls they'd get Muralo. And it is because of the 'follow the texture of the roll' effect. Once that happens, you can't ever undo it.

Muralo can be hard to find theses days.

• paintguy1
    13 years ago

Finish texture is dependent on two things, the paint and the applicator (both the tool and the person applying). Everything else being equal, a shorter nap roller cover (high quality), will produce a smoother finish than longer nap of the same quality - you simply lose some efficiency and typically some hide as well (you are putting less paint on the wall). If you are willing to accept the tradeoff, Aura is capable of producing an excellent smooth finish. BM sells a microfiber cover just for that purpose. If I had a level 4-5 wall, this is the path I would take. Problem is, most painters do not want to give up the efficiency required to do this unless, of course, you are willing to pay for it.

• willinak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

funcolors, thanks so much for your input.
    I found out that BM recommends their 518 reducer for spraying Aura, which is how my painter wants to apply it, at least for the first coat.
    When he comes back after the the floors are down, he will have to roll it, so that's when it will be more problematic. My guess is that when sprayed the finish will be a bit flatter than when rolled, but I have nothing to support it.

• paintguy1
    13 years ago

Even if sprayed, it should always be backrolled anyway. This means that the final finish will still be determined by the cover and the person rolling.