Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvhorses_gw

Staining a new redwood deck

luvhorses
15 years ago

Although there are many good products, would linseed oil alone be sufficient to preserve the wood? Also, do the boards require preservation on all sides (bottom of the deck?)

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (7)

• Michael
    15 years ago

I recommend you follow the advise given by the California Redwood Assn.

The link below is very comprehensive and will provide you the best methods for your new deck.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: California Redwood

• luvhorses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, Brushworks, thanks! I'll check it out.

• luvhorses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kinda late follow-up; that site really didn't have any information re: best preservative for new redwood. Thanks anyway.

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Forget you ever THOUGHT of Linseed oil!!!

It's a very slow-drying oil, and doesn't do well outside for any length of time.
    I'd use it ONLY for low-priority items that can easily be moved inside often....small tables, carvings, etc.

My Redwood deck is 12+ yrs.-old.
    * This is in Fargo, ND...where temps go from -35 to a couple of 95-100 deg. readings every year.
    * Humidity is all over the map too.
    * Physical orientation: West side, Zero shade, 6' off ground. Full sun from 11am.
    * I had first applied Penofin back in '96 when it was new.
    * Since about 2000, I've been using SIKKENS SRD Semi-transparent. It's all I've used since.

NOTE: Redwood is soft, but VERY dimensionally stable outside.
    * You WILL have to sand horizontal surfaces every 3-4 years to keep that "new" look.
    * I've got lots of pics of my deck, if I can just find them on my computer! (You can maybe search on the 'Decks' forum too. I've posted some pics there too...)
    * I sanded all my spindles last summer, along with sanding between them where they attach to the 2x8 Redwood skirtboards. THAT was fun...but had to be done.
    * No matter HOW GOOD a stain is...it can't do everything.
    * Periodic sanding gives you NEW wood again, that will ABSORB & HOLD new stains evenly.
    * Sanding removes degraded/crumpled wood fibers, exposing more rigid/open structures.
    * Cleaning is important too...BUT...doesn't do ANYTHING to remove many old fibers.

Sooooo...my deck stain of choice...Sikkens SRD.
    I LOVE the Redwood #089 color.
    If our store dropped Sikkens...people up here would HANG us!!
    (I went through almost THREE 5G pails when I did our fence last summer...@ $170 per 5-er. Gallons are ~ $35/gal.)
    On below link, check the "Application Guide" info. too.

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Sikkens website, SRD page.

• Michael
    15 years ago

Finishes

Redwood takes and holds finishes better than most other woods. For long lasting good looks and performance, a quality water repellent finish containing a mildewcide and an ultraviolet inhibitor is recommended For best results, the finish should be applied directly to the lumber before construction covering all sides, edges and ends. A second application is recommended when the deck is completed.

Seems pretty easy to decide after reading that.

Michael

• raubuch
    15 years ago

These guys recommend a product by Flood or Cabot for refinishing a deck. Might be a good source of info for you.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Stain a Wood Deck

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Cabot all the way!