Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Vinyl Siding

Posted by Englishproverb (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 7:27

I am considering painting the vinyl siding on my house. The original post in this forum is from 2007 - any updates? Is Sherwin-Williams (still) a good choice for paint? Is primer a good idea, and, if so, recommendations? Thoughts on TSP for prep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Vinyl Siding

Clean the chalk off with TSP or similar solution. Follow the label directions and consider a mildew killer in with it, not a strong bleach solution but one with a releasing agent & therefore weaker.
Always prime when painting outside. It can be the best coat.
Mid sheen finish coat, probably satin or eggshell. Do the best job you Can now and it might last 25 years.
My previous experience was painting single 8 vinyl that was originally robins egg blue and after a fire not available in same color. So I bought white and lapped in in and painted with P&L aqua satin and the new white held nicely whereas the old blue buckled slightly in a few places. Not bad though, i'd do it again for sure as i was generally happy with the end result.
NO DARK COLORS. Ask the paint company for the LRV, light reflecting value to help determine how dark you can go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here