Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brush putty over painted cabinet doors?

Posted by whisperingwillow (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 1:09

I am going to be repainting my cabinets soon. The previous owners painted them first. The cabinets are pickled oak (I can see why they painted them). They left the swatch behind so I know they used BM. I took a door off and went to the store to find out what finish they used because these cabinets have been extremely durable (the kitchen was painted 6 yrs ago). They did a distressed finish and I want to go with plain white. The store told me it is an oil finish and to go with that agin. Even though they did a good job painting, the grain shows through. So I am wondering if I can use Brush putty even though they are already painted?

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brush putty over painted cabinet doors?

YES you can!

Scuff-sand first and remove all dust.
Now you're ready for the BP.
It can be a tedious process, but it's worth it!

Faron

o
RE: Brush putty over painted cabinet doors?

Cool thanks Faron! I just learned of this stuff a couple of days ago. Where do I get it?

o
RE: Brush putty painted cabinet doors?

Check out a thread on this forum I did back in Jan.?!

Check out their site below...
NOT cheap, but wonderful to work with!!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Paints of Europe info....

o
Thank you!

I see there are no stores in my area so I have to order it. The previous owners did a distressed beat up look. Ugh. So I have to fill in some intended nicks. This stuff might really work on that too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here