Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prepping nicotine stained walls

Posted by elvie (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 1:08

Hi there. I am moving into a house where a smoker lived there are nicotine stains on the walls. What is the most efficient way to prep? I don't mind using TSP and rinsing heavily if it means I won't have to use Zinsser BIN, if I could get away with using a water based, less smelly primer, I'd put in the extra elow grease as not to inhale the fumes of BIN.

But from reading here, it seems everyone recommends BIN, so should I just use a liquid TSP substitute,( the bottle says I dont have to rinse), will that clean it enough if I then apply BIN?

Or oxiclean? Or is a vinegar rinse after powdered TSP?

Any input is appreciated,
I'd like to do this as efficiently as possible.

Thank you!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prepping nicotine stained walls

You will need to clean the walls.etc with one of the products you mentioned AND use the BIN, There are no other options IMHO

o

"so should I just use a liquid TSP substitute,( the bottle says I dont have to rinse), will that clean it enough if I then apply BIN? "

you will have to rinse it, not to get the tsp off but to clean away the nicotine. If the paint is in good condition and only nicotine stained you may find after washing it that it doesnt need painting but you definitely want to wash down those walls before you paint

o

Well, I tried the Jasco TSP no rinse substitute using a sponge mop. I just ran passes of the mop until some of the grime foamed up and then swiped clean with the same mop and tsp water. So I didn't rinse it with other water The walls are definitely better, but not perfectly clean, is it ok to apply the BIN now?

Thanks!

o

Hi

I work at a paint store and you will need to rinse the walls with fresh clean water, otherwise you are not really removing the TSP.

Wait for the walls to dry then apply BIN. A shellac base primer is the only type of primer that will successfully remove the nicotine stains. A water base will not.

Friendly type. Water base primers great for drywall and for adhesion. Oil/ shellac base are great for stain blocking and for MDF and new wood.

o

Wait for the walls to dry then apply BIN. A shellac base primer is the only type of primer that will successfully remove the nicotine stains. A water base will not.

Just to clarify, the BIN will cover and seal the stain, not remove it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here