Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to sand the old paint off from honey oak cabinets?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 1:00

I'd like to paint all my honey oak kitchen cabinets, drawers, and slabs to BM simply white. I cleaned all with TSP three times, filled holes and some defects with wood filler.

Now I am sanding with random orbit sander and sanding blocks. I found I also need a 1/4 sheet pad sander, so I ordered Makita BO4556K 2.0 Amp 4-1/2-Inch Finishing Sander with Case today.

Do I need to sand almost all the old paint off, i.e., sand to almost bare wood?

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to sand the old paint off from honey oak cabinets?

no, all you need is a light sanding. If you used that much tsp I hope you rinsed ,rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, rinsed, and then rinsed, again

o

The cabinets will be more durable if you sand them down to raw wood. This is because the primer will stick best to raw then to some slick old finish, plus the primer can penetrate raw wood. It can't penetrate if you are painting over varnish or some other shiny surface. Personally, I think that if you are planning to sand your cabinets down to raw, then there is no need to clean them at all because you will be sanding through whatever you cleaned, it's a waste of time. It's not necessary to completely strip your cabinets though in order to paint them. Primers and paints are pretty good these days that you can still make them pretty durable by just painting over the finish. It just depends on how particular you are and how far you want to take the project.

o

Chris and paintguy, thank you very much for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here