Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Da^^n I'm good...;-) Painting M-bath.

Faron79
12 years ago

Uffda!

Got done paintin' our small M-Bath today!

DW had picked-out a Lowe's color, "Ocean", and I matched it into C2 Lovo-Premium Satin, L8375-01 tintbase.

But 1st...

* Removed all hardware, towel-bars, outlet covers, etc.

* Drilled-out the molly-bolt anchors.

* Pulled-out a half-doz. popped nail-bumps, and drove in screws nearby.

* Washed walls WELL with Powdered-Dirtex.

* Cut-out old caulking around tub.

* Scuff-sanded walls lightly with med-grit sanding-sponge.

* Damp-rinsed off this light dust.

* Now began the tedious filling/sanding of the wall imperfections!

* Lightly rinsed the walls of dust....AGAIN.

* When the filling/feather-sanding was done, I brushed a hazy coat of my C2 primer over these spots.

* Taped-off all trim/Vanity with Frog-tape.

* The FUN part now!!! Spraying the texture over these filled/primed areas.

* Painted ceiling with C2's Lovo Ceiling-paint, L8150-01, using Wooster's small 1/2" x 4.5" Super-Fab covers, and their 18" frame.

* Primed walls using C2's C1000 Latex Stain-blocking primer (this is AWESOME primer!! Not much odor either, unlike Zinssers' 123!). I grayed-it down some, using HK=12.

NOW at last.....the PERFECT base is ready for the C2 topcoats!!!

>>>> Notice-

1) I primed the wall defects after they were sanded to my satisfaction.

2) Spray-texture applied on these spots and feathered-out.

3) Then, the WHOLE room was primed. My texture is SANDWICHED between 2 coats of primer in effect.

Applied the 2 FULL coats of C2 Satin using both of my Wooster small-hub frames, and PRO-DOOZ 3/8" x 4.5" covers.

* Used my "vertical-column" method, finishing each column with a light ceiling-to-floor sweep.

* The longer-handled Wooster frame makes this EASY on the full walls!

Result?!?!?! (pics coming....)

I CANNOT find a flaw in this room!!!

(well...my freehand cut-ins could be a little straighter!!)

* I can't find where the ugly towel-bar and pulled-nail craters/holes were!!

* Therefore...my spray-texture blending "must" be perfect...;-)

* Popcorn ceiling-paint is perfect.

* NO variation in sheen, or any subtle striping/banding of the paint.

* DW is very pleased....BUT....She's gonna be buying new hardware.....UFFDA!!!

Every time I walk in there, I smile now!

Faron

Comments (13)

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Pictures! Pictures!!!

Can you comment on why you went with C2 above other paint brands?

• Faron79
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Andrea!

When DW picks out the outlet covers, double-rod shower curtain, etc., I'll post finished pix! I did take pix of the "ugly"/prep stages....!!

My employer is a C2 dealer!
    I've LITERALLY had my hands in this stuff for 5.5 yrs. now...
    Tinting it, matching into it, selling it, hearing how customers' love it....
    I know all the "ins & outs" of C2.
    I'll put it up against ANYTHING out there.
    (retails in the $40's/gal.)

I've used a good number of paints in the last decade.
    >>> If I could pick TWO paints to use in all future projects, they would be C2 and FPE. Simple as that...

I know my post MAY be read as "He's pretty full of himself...!", but I REALLY did it that way to show all the tedious details/steps b4 the paint ever hits the wall!!
    * There's obviously a little "finesse" when sanding, spraying the touch-up texture, etc.
    * I listed a lot of equipment/tools so others could consider them for their own projects.
    * I've been in a lot of new homes during various tours, etc. Some paintjobs have been OK. Some I've CRINGED at!!
    * When I assess the job I just did, re. to many I've seen, I REALLY smile!
    * I honestly think it's damn-near flawless!

Faron

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Fabulous. Thanks for all the detailed information Faron. I'm putting together a list of "how tos" from the paint pros and am going to repost to the gardenweb site. Do you mine if I borrow your post and include it in my post?

So, C2 for walls, and FPE for moulding and trim? That's how you roll, so to speak?

• SparklingWater
    12 years ago

' Washed walls WELL with Powdered-Dirtex'

Hi and thank you for your detailed list of how to prep and more.

I'm new to the GW Forums. I just heard about cleaning up the white wood doors and trim throughout my house with Dirtex. Do you think it would work to remove fingerprints, oils, typical marks? I'm planing to paint in the future but want to clean up my wood now. Do I need to use a mask when I use it, as I'm chemical sensitive. Thanks.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome SW!!

I can't really speak to any chemical sensitivities, since it varies so much! I, however, don't find much odor or anything with powdered-Dirtex. It's not harsh at all on skin, etc. I just wash walls with it bare-handed!

Overall, you're using so little powder (avg. 1/4 cup/gal. of warm water), that any reactions would SEEM unlikely?!?!

Don't get wood TOO wet, or let water sit on wood pieces. Normally, it'll clean what you need to get off just fine. I'd clean small areas, then dry with a clean towel immediately.

Ideally....do a thorough scuff-sanding now, and remove all dust.
    NOW...you've got a cleaned, dried, and "grippy" surface that primer and paint will adhere to AWESOMELY!!
    (...is that a word??!?!)

;-)

Faron

• SparklingWater
    12 years ago

Ah, you are so kind Fanon to answer! Thanks very much. I'm going to try a little as it's been over twelve years and plenty of kids since our trim, windows and doors have been painted and the white wood is very dirty despite all my cleaning attempts. The added bonus of primer and paint prep is awesome indeed. And I'll use gloves as I always do, etc.

Thanks.

• lucillle
    12 years ago

Faron what an awesome job. I'm not sure many of us would have the patience and fortitude to get as close or actually arrive at perfection as you did. Your wife is lucky, I bet all your rooms look beautiful cause of the paint.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    12 years ago

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y............!!!!

Some prep-pics of this project!

* Gettin' most of the supplies grouped for this pic!

* Pic of shower-side after all holes filled & feather-sanded. Primer cut-in around perimeter, and brushed on repaired areas. This shows those repair areas AFTER the Spray-texture was applied to the primer, making them look hazy/whiter over the gray primer.

* Closer shot of shower corner, showing the texture-sprayed area that was primed FIRST....THEN textured...THEN cut-in perimeter.

* The "pain-in-the-A$$" upper-corner cut-ins over lights, etc. Notice again the lighter look of the spray-tex. around fan outlet, etc.

* Kinda cool pic here! Lights were too damn hot to work over, but I needed light obviously!!

* "Main rolling" of primer starting!!

* Closer look at the final primer-rolling over the primed/spray-textured repair areas. These areas are now TOTALLY SEALED-OFF from the paint layers to come.

Wood'ja like to see the FINISHED look...?!!?!?

;-)

Faron

• golddust
    12 years ago

Nice, Faron!! My Brother in law is magic when it comes to getting rid of popcorn ceilings. He MUDs over them and they look almost smooth. He is a painting contractor/drywall magician and an award winning set designer.

I want to see the finished room!!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was considering getting rid of the popcorn, but DW & I actually kinda like it!
    It looks coarser in the pics, but it's actually only a light popcorn.

"MAYBE" I'll get finished pics up...;-)

Faron

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Finished pics please!

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I can see I'm going to love the new color.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wellllll.....finally got 'round to posting a teaser-pic!!!

The towel-bars aren't on the walls (in this pic) yet though!!
    IRL they are! I shuddered when I had to drill new holes in my work! Here's the hardware on the kitchen counter...

We didn't use the muffin-pan in the bathroom though...;-)
    Noticed that after I took the pics! The dog-toys were up there due to repairs! Sorry for the mess! The girls had went shopping....

I'll put more pics up...;-)

Faron

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH