Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior paint or exterior paint for inside garage?

Posted by jenva2010 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 0:06

We need to paint the drywall walls inside the garage, as well as the garage side of the door leading into the house and the door to the backyard. Should we use exterior paint, since it will be exposed to temperature fluctuations? Or interior paint, since it will be protected from sun, rain, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior paint or exterior paint for inside garage?

Either one is fine!

I'd give a slight nod to Exterior paints, since their resins are a LITTLE more flexible than Interior paints.
That's by far the main difference!

MORE importantly tho...
Clean those walls!!!
Vacuum them off well, and ideally, use a primer first for the best long-run look.
Use an Exterior Satin or Semi-gloss for the walls in a Garage IMO...MUCH easier cleaning there if a higher sheen is used!

Faron

o

.MUCH easier cleaning there if a higher sheen is used!

Right, like he is going to be out in the garage cleaning the walls. I just bet. Not sayin you are not correct, just that it will NEVER happen.People don't clean the walls in there own homes.

o

Thank you! If I use exterior paint, is there primer designed for exterior use, or can I use the same primer I use inside? (I've only ever painted inside the house, so I'm totally clueless in this area.)

o

Exterior paint over any primer. Make sure the walls are clean. Watch out for mildew depending on your climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here