Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen cabinet pro paint job not awesome...what next?

Posted by thenightingale (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 23:51

Though we have DIY'd kitchen cabinets ourselves before (with great results, if I say so myself), we hired someone to do this for us in our new home because we hadn't the time to do it ourselves again (and I do not like the look of oak�sorry, oak fans!). Anyhow, the job was not great and hasn't worn well since September, when we had it done.

For one thing, they didn't get the underside of some of the doors done, which we learned when we flipped some right-side up to install our hardware. Also, the wood colour is coming through. The grain is fine, again, we've done this before and I knew that would happen. It's that yellow is coming through the white that's ugly and annoying. (I just wanted them white, we have an open floor plan.)

I really don't want to deal with the painter again. How can I fix this myself? Am I really going to have to go back and start all over again, sanding and priming? Some sort of BM oil paint was used. Any suggestions and help are appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen cabinet pro paint job not awesome...what next?

It sounds like some stains in the wood that are bleeding through. This sometimes happens when you paint over stained trim and can usually be fixed by using BIN or a stain killing oil based primer. You probably don't need to sand. Just spot prime the stains and repaint.

o
RE: Kitchen cabinet pro paint job not awesome...what next?

Thanks paintguy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here