Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting quote-does this seem high?

Posted by angelrn823 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 23:13

We bought a 'new' house and just got an estimate from a highly recommended painter in our area. A little background on our house and the

-Built in 1920s
-2 sets of french doors
-3000 sq ft
-lots of chair rail molding and dental crown moldings
-intricate stair railing
-walls and moldings needs lot of prep due to cracks, dents etc
-entire house to be painting: walls, moldings, wood windows, trim, closets, stairs, railing and 3 bathrooms

Quote was 12,000 no materials included.

Does this sound like a fair price?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting quote-does this seem high?

yep

o

This is helpful to me, as we are under contract on a "new" house and we will be painting the entire interior as you are. I have spoken to friends that have had painting done to get an idea of what to expect. I was thinking it would be about $15k, including materials. One friend, with a similar space to yours, paid over $20k. Maybe her work was more intricate in nature? Another friend said $12k. Not sure if that included materials.

So, it probably depends on what area you are in. My quotes are for the NYC area.

Good luck!

o

How long does it take to do this?

o

snook
way,way, to many variables to estimate that
same for pricing

o

Yea, it sounds high, but who really knows? We have no idea what the bid involves. Ask them how many man hours they expect the job to take then we can tell you if it's high or not. If it's a 200 hour job, then $12,000 seems just about right!

o
RE: Painting quote-does this seem high

Ooops, I didn't see that you said NO materials are included. Why not? What kind of pro painter gives a bid for a big job like this without materials? Hello Red Flag!

o

Christophern, did your 'yep' mean too high (thread title) or "does it sound like a fair price"? How can answer if there are too many variables?

o

I was being facetious

o

Oh, around here I have heard of a couple people paying $7000 for a few areas not even the whole house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here