Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

How long before polyurethane?

nicethyme
17 years ago

I've done some paint work on my LR tables that I really want to protect. How long do I let this cure before I can urethane? I hope quick cause I don't know how long I can keep threatening my kids' lives if they go near them! LOL

Comments (11)

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

This made me curious, so I did some googling, and darned if I could find anything. The only thing I recall about paint curing is that when I put a wall border up (12 years ago) paint store said it would take 30 days for paint to fully cure before border could go on it. I know you didn't want to hear that ;) I think Michael told someone over in Home Dec allow a week for today's latex paints to cure, but I'm not positive on that. If you could get his attention, or ask in Home Dec, maybe someone could confirm that.

• Michael
    17 years ago

Seven days is long enough for acrylic latex paints to cure prior to a polyurethane topcoat.

If you want a super smooth finish, you'll need to *lightly* wet sand between poly coats with #600 wet or dry sandpaper.

Michael

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, so give each table a week before I do it? If I go the wet sanding route, how long does a coat of urethane need before sanding?

LOL yep that 30 day thing was horrid sounding!

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Please make sure to read the manufacturuers instructions concerning base paint coat compatibility and other application directions prior to applying or even buying the poly.

• moonshadow
    17 years ago

If I go the wet sanding route, how long does a coat of urethane need before sanding? Sorry, you might be well into this project now, but just saw this so I'll chime in ;) Let it dry. It has to feel hard. If poly feels the least bit tacky or gummy Do No Touch It. You will have a small nightmare on your hands. The can will generally instruct as to dry times, but that can vary vastly with temps and humidity. (I had an antique I was refinishing in the summer. Indoors, but it took well over 24 hours for some crazy reason to lose that tacky feel. But that's extreme.) If you don't overload, keep coats thin, it should be dry within 12 hours for sure.

DH does woodworking, I do refinishing (for fun). He applies poly with balled up pantyhose. A woodworking trick he learned, he swears it creates less tiny bubbles. I find it to be a pain myself and just use a brush. I did use Minwax Rub On poly for our oak stair rail he built, that just went on with a rag (lint free, like a t-shirt). It's held up quite well and I used Satin, so it's got a nice soft glow. (But it will 'amber up' as many oil-based polys tend to do, taking on a golden amber hue over time.) If you want to avoid ambering, look into water-based poly, but again, I've not applied it over paint so can't personally attest to what it will do.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Moon, thankyou. I have (amazing) not started this yet... I know - 30 days isn't such a bad number now LOL! I have yet to complete the final table and I hate to go on to the next step until I finish the last! Thank you for your info! I appreciate it!

• Jackie Led
    8 years ago

I have tried water based polyurethane over latex paint and ended up trying it 3 times. I would put it on and then have to sand it off because it dried so fast during the application process that it looked streaked and uneven. I hated it and will never use water based poly again. Oil based went on really well on a dining table so I am going to stick with that. I have just repainted the table because I hadn't put anything over the latex and it hasn't held up very well so getting ready to try the [polyurethane next.

• Sam D
    6 years ago

I really messed up, any ideas? I painted my coffee & end table let them sit 24hrs then applied a coat of polycrylic and just read somewhere I should have let the furniture 'cure' for 21 days. What should I do. My pieces are laminate. Sitting here hoping someone can help me

• PRO
    Paint sales at Home Depot
    6 years ago

I have used the Minwax spray cans of oil urethane for years. It uses a nozzle which gives a really fine spray. I always heat the cans by letting them float around in the hottest water straight from the hot water faucet ( about 125 degrees). It raises the pressure in the can, and being an oil product, it reduces the viscosity so that it sprays and flows beautifully. Make sure ALL the water is shaken from the can. Nothing more disturbing than having a drop of water fall into your newly sprayed table top! It does impart a slight amber tone, which can affect certain colors. If you are looking for an antiqued look, the amber tone may actually be beneficial.

• PRO
    Woodworking Clarity
    2 years ago

The average drying time for paint before polyurethane is two hours. However, this can depend on the temperature of where you live and if it's winter or summertime. The colder air lasts longer before becoming dry enough to apply polyurethane overtop. Again, it's always a good idea to check the manufacturer’s instructions before you paint.