Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

What do you make of this?

lascatx
12 years ago

I looked at tray ceiling treatments on Houzz and decided to try the entire ceiling in a contrasting blue rather than just the uppermost part. We bought samples, tested the paint on test boards and taped it up against all three areas. We bought the gallon and put up a little on all three areas. Now it looks like completely different colors.

{{gwi:1590291}}
The dark area in the upper most corner is much darker than I expected and is the same paint as on the vertical mid section -- where it is lighter, less grey and a much too sweet baby blue. That is basically BM Beacon Gray at about 70%. The lighter area next to it is Lily White. You can't even see that one on the vertical section. I know the light makes a difference, but I wouldn't expect it to be so totally different like this. Any ideas on how to make it look right other than mixing different paints and hoping to make them look the same?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Flop angle. Color changes based on the angle at which it is viewed.

Easiest choice is to embrace it for what it is and once the whole room is done it will actually look kinda cool. It's the same color so it's not like it's going to clash or read discordant in some way.

The other choice is to change the hierarchy and order of color distribution in the space. i.e. a plan for horizontal planes and a plan for vertical planes.

Because if the vertical wall between the two horizontal didn't have a swatch of the blue, then the two horizontal planes would look more a like to you than they do right now.

Flop angle is mostly accountable for the difference you're seeing. The other issue, however, is your sample board was more than likely smooth. The ceiling planes are not. Texture also affects perceived color characteristics.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Funcolors said it all

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

Flop angle? I like that. I actually had a customer once accuse me of painting her 2 red walls with two different colors because they just looked different. I couldn't convince her otherwise either. This is when I had to ask my favorite question:

"So, do you want me to make the paint not match so that it matches?"

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

ROTFL!

• lascatx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I understand the flop and was expecting some difference -- just not nearly that much. I repainted that area using all the lighter shade DH said was too light and all grey to him and the variance is now more what I expected. But I'm not sure if it has quite enough gray! LOL

Funcolors (fun name), I can imagine what reds could do. I thought about using different colors to make it more even but went lighter first and was happier with that choice. This is natural light only and the crown is just primed. It is more obvious with flash, but the blue changes.
    ,img src=http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/lascatx/ceilingpaint002-1.jpg>;

As I said above, I actually did mix a slightly different color to make my living room walls look the same, and more importantly, to transition between two different colors in the foyer on one side and the family room on the other. It was a beige, so it didn't have to be radical and it was really necessary, but I wouldn't have taken it on voluntarily and I wouldn't want to have to do it to try to please someone else. Maybe you pros should point out the different shades that appear on the existing wall before you start. Most folks don't notice them or the way light plays in a room.