Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anelth921

Overwhelmed - Need to paint my kitchen cabinets

anelth921
13 years ago

I know this has been a question asked many times, and I've read through so many of the wonderful advise here, that everything is runing together. Could I ask for some help? We need to paint my kitchen cabinets again. They are now painted white, but we used an oil based paint, and they are now yellowing. We are updating our kitchen now and plan to repaint the cabinets again.

I have read here and on other sites online, and I'm confused about what type of paint to use. We are now working on sanding the cabinets down, and I need to know:

1) Is it necessary to prime them? If so, what type of primer should we use? I've read to prime with an oil-based primer and paint with a latex paint, and then read somewhere else not to mix oil and latex this way.

2) The grain is still showing through the paint, and I really want to hid the grain as much as I can. My husband is sanding as much as he can, so I need to know what type of paint or primer we should use to help hide the grain.

3) On another site, I read that the waterbased paint is the best because it will not yellow and will not chip as much. Is this the best paint to use?

4) I will probably go with SW as a paint as there is a SW store close by. We do not have an Ace or BM. There is a Lowes and HD, so this is an option if their paint is the best. Is ther a type of SW, Lowes or HD that is the best?

5) Finally, should I use a flat or glossy look for cabinets? Are there cons and pros for what type to use? I was thinking of a simi-gloss to go with my black pearl countertops and honed marble backspash. Would this work?

Thank you for all your help. I seem to find the answer, and then find something else that contradicts that answer. I thought if I ask my specific questions, I'd get a clearer idea of what to do.

Comments (3)

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

I've researched most of your issues too. Will provide as much info as I can and hopefully one of the pros will confirm.

1 - Clean and prime. Lots of oil in the kitchen. Clean with Dirtex (get the corners well), sand to provide some "tooth" and use a tack cloth to remove dust. I primed with BIN original (oil base). Plan to sacrifice a good brush!

2 - If you have a heavy grain like oak, probably will not totally disguise

3 - Correct. Oil base paints have been altered to comply such that they are no longer the best choice.

4 - I've used Cabinet Coat brand (latex, semi gloss) and am pleased. It does go on thick and quickly skins so one needs to learn how to apply to prevent runs (paint insides first) and remove doors to paint flat.

5 - I am happy with the semi-gloss for cleanability. I didn't consider anything else. As to color choices, that's a personal matter but here are some before/after photos of ours. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• anelth921
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you fnmroberts. I really appreciate your help. Your kitchen is beautiful, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm still nervous about screwing it up, but I can't wait to get started. I'll be going to SW tomorrow to look at paint!

What color white did you use on your cabinets? I think it looks great in your kitchen.

• graythumb
    13 years ago

If you're interested in hiding the grain, Fine Paints of Europe makes brushing putty. You might want to look into this.