Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Faux Or Not To Faux?

Posted by ncchateau (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 20:20

Is Faux painting still a good idea to do. I know it has been popular for quite some time. I don't want to date our house if we use this technique but I love it.

Our home is a french chateau style. I am thinking of doing this in our dining room for starters.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/faux_finishing/old_world_impressions/smooth_fresco/index.jsp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Faux Or Not To Faux?

I'd go slowly....maybe a wall or two first!!

It varies SO much by region/city, as to what's popular...OR NOT...!
At the store where I work (Paint, Hdwr., & Decorating), it's RARE that anyone asks about it anymore! Sponge painting and similar techniques just DIED here 3-4 yrs. ago...
* Ralph Laurens' Suede paint is still popular though.
* The popular "faux" looks now are mainly by Modern-Masters, and similar companies.
* They have cool Metallics, and Reactive finishes...rust-activating spritzes, Copper-patinas, Iron paint (for rusting), etc.
* These can be VERY dramatic looking!
* I can't remember the last time anybody asked us about Venetian-Plaster!?!?!?
* Some new iridescent plasters look pretty cool and subtle too! The price ISN'T cheap though for good stuff...some ~ $100/gal. retail.

Overall, moderation is KEY for faux!!!

Faron

o
RE: To Faux Or Not To Faux?

It won't look "dated" if it's in a style of house where you expect it, and it blends with the style of furniture and flooring.

Blatant "I'm FAUX!" effects date more quickly than subtle shading.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here