Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhome11_gw

Bathroom paint colors, help!

NewHome11
13 years ago

Hi! We just moved into our new house and are pretty much set on paint colors for all of our rooms except one of our guest baths. I do not know why but I am having such a hard time choosing and envisioning a color. The decor style we are going for throughout the house is rustic farmhouse/rustic-shabby chic/french country.

Here is a link to a picture of the shower curtain that we currently have for this bathroom but can always use it in another bathroom

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Nicole-Miller-Rosewood-Shower-Curtain/5207409/product.html .

Any paint color suggestion and picture of your bathrooms would really be helpful, thanks!

Comment (1)

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

The link didn't work for me, but how about grey-blue, grey, or yellow?

What are the colors of the fixtures, cabinets, tile, etc. in the guest bath? Also, do you enter this bath from a guest bedroom or hallway area? Also, how much space needs to be painted (are the walls covered in tile or wainscoat)? Are you planning on painting the ceiling as well?

My house is transitional and very simple. For my on suite baths, I painted them the color of the ceiling in the attached bedrooms. My bedrooms have crown moulding and tray ceilings, so I have 2 or 3 coordinating colors in each bedroom. I then took the lightest colors from the bedroom and used them for the attached baths. I was worried that it might look too uniform, but with the difference in room size and lighting, etc., it doesn't even look like same color, but it definitely works.

For my guest half bath, I used an accent color from the adjacent room. I have a somewhat open floor plan and you can see into this bath, so I wanted it to flow. The color is unique for a bathroom (it's a gray/green/brown color), but I love how it coordinates with the surrounding space.

For my main guest full bath, I went with light/baby blue paint. However, this room is primarily solid white (white floor and wall tile, white vanity and fixtures, white doors and trim, etc.), so the blue is really more like an accent color. I'd say the room is 75% white and only 25% blue, so it's bright and has a very clean feel.

I think, more than any other room, that paint color in the bathroom tends to function as a "backdrop", because of the volume of layering in that room (think shower rod, towel bars, robe hooks, mirrors, wall art, windows, medicine cabinet ....), so in picking a color try to visual it with all the other "stuff" in the room.

Good luck!