Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Matte paint upgrade

Posted by ddr000 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:04

Hello,

I'm building a new house in the Northeast, and we're getting ready to choose paint. The builder's default paint for walls is BM Regal in flat sheen. I inquired about cost of doing all the walls in Matte instead, and got a quote of $1500 for the whole house. The house is 5 bedrooms, 4 baths, total about 3500 sq. ft plus garage.

Is that reasonable? I'm not very familiar with painting (done some basic DIY, but don't know much), it seems that paint materials price difference is probably ~$500 (if that). Is there substantially more labor involved in doing matte? The house is already sheetrocked and taped; the price upgrade is coming from the paint guy.

I'm primarily looking to get a sense whether this is reasonable upcharge from flat, or something I need to question the builder.

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Matte paint upgrade

It's reasonable but not so much because of the difference in the price of the paint itself, but the labor. Usually, upgrading to a washable paint is adding another coat if they are doing prime plus 2 coats finish. Flat finish is generally prime plus one coat. You may want to inquire about upgrading to Aura Matte though. IMO, BM Regal Matte isn't that great of a paint.

o

Thanks for the info, paintguy. I inquired about the Aura Matte, and was told it'd be about $1000 extra in paint costs, likely no labor difference. Would you say that's a) reasonable, and b) worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks!

o

So you mean $2500 more than the original flat estimate for Aura, $1500 more for Regal matte? What is the total cost of the job? Ask how many gallons if it's not detailed on the estimate so you can calculate the materials price difference.

I think another coat of matte is required to even out its slight sheen and make it consistent across the wall, no roller marks. It also enriches the color to add another coat.

One coat of flat over prime does not sound worth it to me. If you have kids etc. your walls will not stand the test of time. Aura is more durable and the color is not supposed to fade much over the years. Just make sure you get your color right! Or if you tire and repaint fairly frequently maybe it's not as important.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 18:24

o

Thanks, snookums2. Yes, it's $1500 to upgrade from Regal Flat to Regal Matte (I'm guessing they're doing a second coat, thus the cost difference). And another $1000 to go Aura. I don't know the total cost of the job, since it's included into overall build project.

I have Regal eggshell in my current house, and it has worn quite well, I have Aura for a dark color in one bathroom, can't say it looks any better. Going from flat to matte seems like a no brainer. Spending another $1k to do the job in Aura doesn't seem as worth while. It seems it would be better to spend a few dollars to upgrade paint for high traffic areas like hallways and mudroom, and regal matte everywhere else.

Any other advice, much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here