Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_adamopoulos

Poll:If cost wasn't an issue which cabinet paint would you choose

Nancy Adamopoulos
14 years ago

I'm having mudroom cabinets and bench built by a cabinet maker and I want to make sure I get the best paint job(durability and looks). I've searched this forum and several paints get good reviews. So, in your opinion, if cost wasn't an issue which paint would you choose to paint UNFINISHED cabinets an off-white color? My cabinet maker says he can spray them as well, is this recommended?

The paints I've seen referenced the most include Cabinet Coat, Ace Cabinet paint, BM Aura, BM satin impervo, SW pro-classic.

Which would you use(feel free to mention others not on the list)?

Thanks in advance! I have to get back to my cabinet maker soon!

nancy

Comments (13)

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

Fine Paints of Europe is probably best followed by BM Aura. Yes, spraying is the preferred method.

• Faron79
    14 years ago

EXACTLY what PG said.

FPE is pretty much King-of-the-hill!

C2 would be another good choice...

Make SURE they're sanded AND primed.
    You WILL be able to tell the difference!

Faron

• maremelb
    14 years ago

I would choose Farrow and Ball Pointing. I see it alot in English decorating magazines and it looks like the perfect cabinet and trim color. I haven't got a chance to try it yet so I don't know if it is durable.

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! That FPE pain is expensive!(I guess I got what I asked for) And the nearest retailer is an hour away. C2 nearest retailer in 2.5 hrs away!

My cabinet guy is really meticulous with the prep work.

So is BM Aura better than Satin Impervo for cabs? Which one is more durable and easier to clean? Which one is easier to apply?

And what is the best finish for cabinets? Satin? Semigloss? or is it personal preference?

thanks for the advice so far!

• pirula
    14 years ago

FPE definitely, it's what I used. I used a brush, my preference.

Farrow & Ball is also excellent. Pointing is beautiful, have it on all my trim. The paint is very durable.

FPE will ship if you're a distance away from a vendor. Definitely call and ask them. They're customer service is great. F&B is also easily available online, through Cox Paints.

• decorativewalls
    14 years ago

Up & Down, Over & Over, BM- Waterborne Impervo or Aquabond

• Faron79
    14 years ago

FPE.

Well...you DID ask for the best...;-)!
    "Be careful what you wish for..."

Yes, it's pricey. I've had my hands in it, sampled it, and therefore used it @ home. It IS NOT normal paint.

* We're talkin' "Four Seasons Maui" vs. the Holiday-Inn kinda difference...except FPE is a little cheaper...;-)
    (We were lucky enough to stay @ the Four Seasons last June)

* Your paint cost will increase SOME. So what? The added value, durability, & appearance will outweigh a few $$'s.

* Just as proof...my setup for my downstairs bath...my fave C2-One primer, and the Euroqt. of FPE Matte, which cost $45 delivered. Walls were washed with powdered Dirtex.

Faron

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Is FPE that much better than F&B?

Several of the F&B colors would work beautifully in what I'm planning for my kitchen. On the other hand, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out the FPE color code/sample system so I can get some samples up in my house.

I really want my cabinet paint to last well so if FPE is so much better, then I guess I should keep trying with FPE? I have two little ones at home (and a middle-sized one at school) so really, time is a priority for me.

• pirula
    14 years ago

Both FPE and F&B are superlative and you won't go wrong with either one. I have both, so I know. If you're in love with an F&B color, by all means use their eggshell on your cabinets. You'll be very happy. F&B colors cannot be "copied" so don't even try. Find a color you like, and go with it.

• paintguy22
    14 years ago

FPE is the best paint in the world, no question about it.
    But, other premium paints are pretty good too. Will you notice the difference? That depends on you and everyone is different.

• wi-sailorgirl
    14 years ago

FPE can color match to almost any color (I'm not familiar with the F&B line so I can't speak to that). I did a little review of my experience with FPE paint on here, but that's coming from a proficient DIYer, not a professional, and it sounds like you're having this done by a professional.

Anyway ... I'd worry more about the kind of paint than the color since most companies can color match.

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Can someone give me the price of one gallon of FPE?

• Faron79
    14 years ago

Depending on what type of FPE paint, the 2.5L Eurogallon ranges from $100 to $110.

>>> The interior ECO-series can reach 400sf though!
    >>> 1L = 1.06 U.S. Qts.
    >>> Sooooo....the 2.5L Eurogallon = ~ 2.65 U.S. Qts.
    >>> There's NO WAY 2.6 US qts. will even reach 300sf.!!!
    >>> 100sf/U.S. QT. would be the absolute tops for "normal" paint.

There are 1L sizes for $40-$50.

Call FPE for current pricing.

Faron