Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borabora_gw

Staining a Fiberglass Door

borabora
11 years ago

I just bought a textured fiberglass door that will be facing West. Option #1 - staining it with Zar stain and finishing it with Sikkens D$W clear satin(hard to find around here). Option #2 - 3 coats of Sikkens Light Oak only.
Option #3 - paint it (last resort).
Suggestions Please?

Comments (15)

• Faron79
    11 years ago

How much direct sun....and what state are you in?

Faron

• Michael
    11 years ago

What brand of door?

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Texas. The door is facing West and it is a Geld Wen 6 panel door with 2 1/2 side lights.
    I have pretty much been convinced of using 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol 23. I know the Door and Window has been recommended before but the person I spoke with at paintsource.net (very friendly and helpful BTW) told me the Cetol 23 has more color choices and that is what they used before the Door and Window stuff came out.
    Thanks

• Faron79
    11 years ago

How much direct sun?
    Will a storm-door be in front of this?
    What color ZAR stain?

I'm VERY familiar with these products where I work.

Faron

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just bought a gallon of Sikkens Cetol 23 plus cedar color and tested it on a piece of sample door.
    I tried a first coat of dark oak and a second coat of cedar. I think I like plain cedar better.
    I put the first coat on and wiped it off with a piece of cloth. The second coat I just brushed it on. Not sure if that is the right way.
    Thanks

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just bought a gallon of Sikkens Cetol 23 plus cedar color and tested it on a piece of sample door.
    I tried a first coat of dark oak and a second coat of cedar. I think I like plain cedar better.
    I put the first coat on and wiped it off with a piece of cloth. The second coat I just brushed it on. Not sure if that is the right way.
    Thanks

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, it gets the full load of sun in the summer. 100 degrees plus.

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No storm door.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. Bora!

(Jeez...I think I'd wilt in TX! We can get to 100 in Fargo, but we can get to -30+ as well!!! Right now, we're having a blizzard...)

With direct sun/heat like that, plan on a cleaning, scuff-sanding, & maintenance-coat or 2 every couple years.
    * DEAD-SERIOUS here!
    * The whole key here is to STAY AHEAD of the damage!!
    * Same idea as letting your skin get all leathered-out from the sun...and THEN start wearing sunscreen!
    * BRUSH on all 3 coats of the 23+. One DAY between each coat. Keep your area dust-free, & keep the floor wet.

Faron

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

borabora - Pardon the piggybacking on your OP!

But can any1 chime in on fiberglass front door by ThemaTru facing west that is under a full 10' porch roof overhang with Mid-Atlantic weather (Summer - sun sets 8.45 ish with 90 degree temps).

No trees in front of house.

Here is a link that might be useful: thermatru Fiberglass Entry Door Systems Classic-Craft American

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Faron - Now it's just a matter of getting the right color.
    I'll be glad to get all that over with.
    I ended up getting the Sikkens half price because it is being discontinued. Must be that Cetol 23 still has the good stuff in it.
    Still $30/gallon though.

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pbx - I believe we're pretty much in the same boat. I have decided to pass on the staining and opt for Sikkens. The only problem with that is the limited color choices.

• borabora
    Original Author
    11 years ago

faron - What do you mean by "staying ahead of the damage"? What damage are you talking about?

• geoff
    10 years ago

I did my fiberglass front door with sikkens door and window stain two years ago and love it. It stays nice even with our hot sun beating on it. Previously I had a door that I gel stained/varnished as directed by Pella and that was a huge disappointment in terms of maintenance. The varnish just wouldn't hold up. Sikkens is great stuff because it uses no varnish top coat. My house faces southeast. But a neighbor whose house faces northwest told me of this Sikkens stain when his gel stain and varnish failed.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I did my ThermaTru door with Zar gel stain and Sikkens D&W in Sept 2009 (thanks to Faron for recommending it). Should have recoated last Sept but didn't - I'll do it this spring once it warms up. The bottom of the door is a bit faded - hope I don't have to strip, it's not peeling. Top is shaded by porch so the bottom is the only part that gets direct late-afternoon (west) sun.

Does D&W expire? I haven't checked the can. Sikkens changed their website, don't see that Cetol 23+ or D&W have been discontinued. You can search for a dealer in your area. I didn't find the paint store where I thought I bought it (Ben Moore) but looks like Home Depot is carrying the line - maybe they can special-order for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: New Sikkens website