Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_2009

Applying gel stain to a fiberglass door

kristine_2009
13 years ago

My mother recently purchased a woodgrain fiberglass door and would like me to help her stain it. Is there any particular gel stain that works better than others? She would like it to be a burgandy/ mohagany color. I found these instructions online http://www.oldmastrs.com/How-To_Tips/stnbrochr.pdf

Does that cover pretty much what I need to know? I have used general finishes gel stain on furniture before with good results, but have not done a door. My mother is quite picky, so I want to do a good job. ;) Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• colour.me.christine
    13 years ago

Hello Kristine_2009,

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta. I love gel stains! Using it for your door will work out really well for you.

The instructions that you have are spot on. Just follow them closely and your mom will have a new looking door in a jiffy!

Happy staining,
    Christine

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

In my opinion, this is one of the hardest DIY projects you can do. I don't even know many painters that can do it well. It will depend on how picky you are....it's easy to smear stain on the door and call it done, but if you are wanting it looking like a real wood door, then this may take a lot of practice or you may want to hire someone. You can try a panel and wipe the stain right off though if you don't like it.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

I would recommend using two colors of stain, a second coat that's a dark brown over a redder first coat, to give some depth; fiberglass isn't wood, so the door with just one coat of stain will be very flat-looking. A second coat treated like a glaze (left heavier in corners and moldings) is going to give a richer appearance. I do this on wood doors, so I think it's all the more important to do on synthetic.
    Casey

• canishel
    13 years ago

Please keep us informed on how the gel stain works out.
    I have new fiberglass doors with the wood grain texture. The painters used Zar dark stain on the inside and paint on the outside surfaces. Both are wearing off after about a year. Both of the outside surfaces are in protected areas (under a roof).

• Faron79
    13 years ago

ZAR stain would still be my first choice here.

Canishel-
    Which exact Zar stain-series were you using?
    What exact type/brand of topcoats are on the Zar side?
    * There's no real reason the Zar stain would be coming off, though it does have to be coated with a sealant, like any stain would.
    * Assuming a good, cleaned door, and a good topcoat system, that Zar should be serving a decade or more.
    * Uncoated...yes....It'll wear off way too soon. Like ANY stain-only surface would.

Faron

• canishel
    13 years ago

Faron,
    The label says
    Premium Quality
    ZAR
    oil-based wood stain
    multi-surface formula

I can't read the instructions because they're covered with the stain.
    Don't know if the painters put a topcoat on it. Assuming they didn't, what should I use?

Thanks to the OP for asking the question!

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Paint the outside, stain the inside. If you want a beautiful Mahogany door look, go buy a Mahogany door. Fiberglass is a great product but they almost never look good on the outside [stained] after just a few years, even in a protected entrance.

• geoff
    11 years ago

Mahogany doors are wonderful to look at but I definitely would not put a wooden door on my house because the front faces south and there is no porch roof. Fiberglass is a better choice for exposed doors, I think. Like I said, if you avoid gel stain and go with something like Sikkens, you can have your cake and eat it too.