Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

dirtex same as TSP? powdered vs. spray Dirtex...

kimcoco
13 years ago

Big box store is telling my husband that Dirtex is same as TSP. Is that true?

I was planning to use powdered Dirtex to clean my bathroom shower walls and ceiling (painted) prior to repainting. I was told the nice thing about Dirtex is that you don't have to rinse the product off the walls.

So, the Big Box store gave my husband the spray version of Dirtex as they don't have the powdered version. However, when I read the instructions on the can, it indicates that the product must be rinsed and cleaned off the surface, and that you CANNOT use it over Latex paint.

I don't understand why the powdered version is ok to clean latex surface paint, but not the spray.

????

Comments (9)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

I've been one of the big-time proponents of POWDERED Dirtex wall-washing. Learned this big pearl of wisdom from a formerly regular member here....Brushworks.

Powdered cleaners and regular "liquid" cleaners are two different things!!!!! I'm no chemist, but there are ingredients in liquids to keep the cleaning-agents in suspension, that aren't required in powders. Those added ingredients are most of the reason the shouldn't be used b4 painting.
    >>> They can leave residues of their own that interfere with new paints' adhesion.
    >>> TSP is a great cleaner....BUT....has to be rinsed multiple times, or a haze can be left behind that...guess what...interferes with a new paints' grip.

I'm glad you double-checked the HD's off-the-cuff/mistaken instructions!!!

Faron

• lori_mcdermott_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Dirtex question: I am re-painting trim in a new-to-us house. The current paint isn't flaking off the trim and it appears to be in good shape, I'd venture to say it is only a couple years old... Is it possible to give the trim a good scrub with dirtex (powdered) using a green nylon sponge and get away with not sanding? I'm planning to prime or use a couple of coats of Aura for the trim. While I know it is not a perfect way to go, is this passable in your (professional and highly valued)opinion?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I've been one of the big-time proponents of POWDERED Dirtex wall-washing. Learned this big pearl of wisdom from a formerly regular member here....Brushworks.

Yup. Many of us learned that very valuable lesson from him. Thank you for the expanded explanation, Faron.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Dirtex question: I am re-painting trim in a new-to-us house. The current paint isn't flaking off the trim and it appears to be in good shape, I'd venture to say it is only a couple years old... Is it possible to give the trim a good scrub with dirtex (powdered) using a green nylon sponge and get away with not sanding? I'm planning to prime or use a couple of coats of Aura for the trim. While I know it is not a perfect way to go, is this passable in your (professional and highly valued)opinion?

Depends some on what primer you use, but in general ,yes, you should be good.

• lnmca
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the answer!

I've chickened out and decided to sand the trim I've gotten to so far but we have a whole wall of bookshelves and about 5 doors that I may not have the patience (or stamina) to sand down. I'm responding for LMNCO. Somehow it let me post a message without logging in but it won't let me post a follow up without doing so.

• farnac
    12 years ago

I've been using Dirtex (only powdered because you can control the strength) for MANY years.

I have used it successfully to prep for painting, instead of kilz. Also, even though there is a caution against using on wood, I used it (2T to 1 gallon water) to scrub black mold off teak on a boat before varnishing with Sikkens.

Most excellent stuff.

• HU-957169848
    5 years ago

Can Dirtex adequately clean old oak cabinets in preparation for painting them?

• lms_1209
    3 years ago

I am looking for the same answer as above question