Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tealeaf1012

Desperate cabinet help needed!

tealeaf1012
11 years ago

Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise me on this... I am a little stressed about wanting to make sure I do the best job possible with this project, but also worried about the health hazards of oil based primer.

I have 1990's golden oak cabinets that I am planning to paint white. I have cleaned them and am planning to sand. I was planning to use zinsser cover stain on as the primer and benjamin moore advance for the paint. I am worried about the fumes in the house with the coverstain. Is it fine as long as I don't keep the kids in the house much for a few days?

Are any of the other zinsser water based primers as good, such as the smart prime or the odorless oil based stain blocker (how is that possible by the way?) Does anyone have experience using these on cabinets... especially ones with noticeable grain like oak?

Also, would it be a bad idea to use a water based primer on the boxes in the kitchen (where my kids are going to be), and then use the coverstain on the doors when I paint them in the basement? Is that a good compromise, or could the finish look different if I use different primers even with the same paint on top?

I am just wondering if I have any other alternatives for me. I want the smoothest finish and the best coverage for the grain. I am afraid a latex/acrylic won't absorb well enough into the wood.

If I use a water based primer, is the advance still ok to put on top? I get confused because the advance is considered a hybrid.

Also, I would love the easiest cleanup possible, but don't want to give up the durable hard finish of an oil.

Does anyone have experience with advance paint... hoping it doesn't yellow....

Sorry for the 10,000 questions!!

Thanks in advance, Tara

Comments (13)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I used Kilz Original oil based (BM recommendation). It stinks to high heavens but is low VOC. I wouldn't have my children or pets around before the place airs out, good ventilation is necessary. I also turned of the HVAC pilot but don't know if that's necessary!

It can get gummy to work with and leave brushmarks.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 14:36

• fairlight47
    11 years ago

I too am planning to paint my kitchen cabinets white. In doing some research I found Owatrol water-based ESP (easy surface prep). Can be used on wood and high-gloss surfaces without sanding. After using Owatrol and waiting 2 hrs you can paint. I ordered this from Amazon but hasn't arrived yet. I figured I'd test on a door before tackling the kitchen. This may be able to help you after you read the fine print. Good luck!

• Michael
    11 years ago

If you switch to Cabinet Coat, you solve the oil problem and odor problem.

Cabinet Coat is self priming and adheres well to any clean, dull surface.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

snook
    450 voc is not low

CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. VAPOR HARMFUL. May affect the brain or nervous system causing dizziness, headache or nausea. Do not
    breathe vapors or spray mist. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air, wear respiratory protection (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C
    or equivalent) or leave the area. Follow respirator manufacturer�s directions for respirator use. Causes eye, skin, nose and throat irritation. Avoid contact with
    eyes, skin and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.
    NOTICE: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I'm confused then. I was shocked to see low VOC because it stinks (learned that doesn't equate to odor) but don't find it on their site. Thought I saw it on the can. Must have been the fumes! I will have to check at the Depot when I'm there.

Then, I won't be using it again!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 12:04

• PRO
    11 years ago

there are many less toxic brands of oil primer that do just as good a job.
    "oderless"( which it is not) Zinnser Cover Stain for one.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I used what was recommended by BM but won't be using it again for priming cabinetry.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I do not for a minute understand why BM would be recommending Kilz or ANY other product not their own. They have their own primers that would have worked. I just don't get it. Very, very strange indeed.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

You could use Zinsser's 123, or C2-One.
    Both are very good Water-based primers.

If you want a little higher-end result, FPE has a couple stud primers/grain-fillers!

For important projects like this, forget the "no-prep" wipe-on "Liquid-sandpaper"-type solutions!! I can't in good faith recommend these to our customers....and in fact, I do all I can to stress the traditional prep methods.

Faron

• Vertise
    11 years ago

It is very strange indeed! That particular BM store does not always carry its own products! I could get Floetrol but not their own Aura extender which it says to ONLY use. I could not get their Crown & Trim caulk but could get another brand. It's a pain because I have to call around and drive 20 miles to another BM store to get the products. He told me they stock what their contractors ask for.

The piece had stain on it but they probably do have a similar product! Then again, people here are always recommending the Zinsser product. Maybe he just thinks it works better?

He also sold me a bad roller that left lint all over the place. I don't remember much about what he looked like so I avoid the advice of anyone with gray hair there, lol.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 11:51

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Excuse me, I remember now. The oil primer he sold me was a BM product! I think when I went to the local paint guy to get more of the primer in the purple can, they pointed out did I want exterior? I was not a happy camper, having read to never use exterior products indoors due to their toxic ingredients.

I think the kilz, zinsser, xim came up there. They sell primarily BM. I was happy with the kilz odor blocking abilities on another project so used that.

This is what BM sold me. I don't see it on their website, seems the label has changed.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 11:43

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I knew I had gotten a low voc version of the Kilz Original oil primer. Saw it on the receipt yesterday.

Does not look (or smell) benign to me but I can't interpret the MSDS anyway -- but it certainly does look hazardous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low VOC Kilz Original Oil Primer

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 22:09

• PRO
    11 years ago

certainly does look hazardous.

that's because it is

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry