Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM Advance or Cabinet-Coat?

Posted by jeri (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 18:02

Thought I was set on Advance and went to the paint store to ask a few questions. The man there said it would yellow and it peels. He showed me a very yellowed sample that was peeling. :-(

He recommends Cabinet-Coat.

I’m very inexperienced. The good news is that this will all be new wood - the bad news is that we will be ordering doors/drawers for the entire house - so I really want to make the right decision.

Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM Advance or Cabinet-Coat?

Come on Gurus!

I read that on a scale of 1 to 10, conventional alkyd yellowing would rate a 10 and latex a 2. Advance would be a 4. Do you agree?

I also read that Cabinet-Coat has a natural green tint, so the White Dove I want would be different in the CC compared to Advance. Do you agree? Does CC also yellow over time?

I went to a different BM store (drove to next town over) to ask these questions. The guy was nice, and honest - he didn't have a clue.

What do you recommend???

o

I used Cabinet Coat in White Dove 2 years ago......my cabinets look awesome!

I am not an expert, just a mom, but wanted to share my experience. :)

o

latex would be a 0
any oil based product is going to yellow over time

o

I used Cabinet Coat when I painted my kitchen cabinets white. It's been a couple of years and they still look good. I do touch up the spots that wear from use.

My neighbor worked for BM and he convinced me to use CC. I was all set to use an oil based paint even though I knew it would yellow over time. CC was easy to use.

Good luck.

o

I've read BM Satin Impervo is good (has an oil and waterborne). Also read some painters prefer the Aura Satin for cabinets over the Impervo and VOCs are lower.

Muralo Ultra Ceramic is another highly recommended product.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 23:26

o

Where did you get the Cabinet Coat tinted, and did you need a primer? Did you paint over previously-painted cabinets?

o

"quote Where did you get the Cabinet Coat tinted"

wherever you buy it
no primer needed
yes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here