Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color too cool for a dark room? Pics**

Posted by pipdog (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 17:57

Hi all,
I am hoping for some advice and suggestions on our recently-painted living area. We painted our living room and dining room RH's Pumice, which looked like a soft light grey when we tried a sample of it in the house. When we painted the rooms, the color turned out much bluer than we anticipated. The living room does not get much light and we feel like the paint actually makes the room seem darker. We've lived with it for several months, and we're considering re-painting it. Here are some photos (we don't yet have our rug and other furnishings):
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

The tile for the fireplace is a yellow-ish beige. The room has a lot of woodwork which is painted BM White Dove.

The kitchen is painted Martha Stewart "Fossil" which is a light celery. The kitchen, dining and living rooms are somewhat open to each other as we have arches separating the room. We need a color that will not clash with Fossil. Here's a photo of the kitchen:
Photobucket
If you could, would you re-paint this? if so, would you go warm? We strayed from beige because our last home was all beige, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Can anyone recommend a color that might help "brighten" this room up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color too cool for a dark room? Pics**

Lighting plays a huge role in how a room feels. I notice that you have little lighting in the rooms other than the ceiling pot lights - a table lamp tucked in a corner and the cylinder thing, also in a corner. That's a start, but I could envision more table lamps and a torchiere in there.

You might consider cross posting this on the Home Decorating forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here