Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyce2202

latex over oil

Candyce Preston
11 years ago

I know there have been several posts about this but I can't find an answer to my specific question. Here goes ... I'm painting the interior of a house that has all the baseboards and door trim painted with an old oil base paint. I've been sanding, painting kilz oil base primer and then the latex paint. But, instead of that - can I skip the light sanding, paint a base primer coat of Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Water Base Primer and then paint with a good quality interior latex paint. The information on the Zinsser can says that will work - but I'd like to know if it really will.

I'm so tired of sanding I could cry!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (6)

• Candyce Preston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks christophern - Good news. I will LIGHTLY sand and use the 123.

• Candyce Preston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks christophern - Good news. I will LIGHTLY sand and use the 123.

• Michael
    11 years ago

I'd opt for a thorough cleaning with a TSP substitute, light sanding, and go right to a quality acrylic paint, like Aura.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Sometimes when I hear people complain about sanding, I just don't get it. As a pro I suppose sanding is second nature to me, but also this makes me wonder if people that complain about it are really just putting too much effort into doing it. Use newer 3M medium grit sanding sponges. Forget the sandpaper. When you look at the shiny surface of the wood, sanding just dulls that shine down. That is really all your goal should be and it only takes a couple swipes with a decent amount of pressure. You shouldn't even break a sweat. I do sweat while sanding because I'm trying to do it quickly, but not because I'm pressing so hard and doing a vigorous activity.

Also, the oil based Kilz is not the best primer for this. That product is more for stain killing, not bonding. The best product to use would be BIN. The second best product to use would be an acrylic bonding primer like Zinsser 123...at least in my opinion.

I don't care at all that the can of primer says you do not need to sand either. I understand they want to sell more primer, but we seem to be living in a world now where all advertisements have lies. When you complain that the primer didn't stick, they have all sorts of measures in place to weasel out of any liability. Or, they figure that the few people that they actually have to pay off for paint failure are worth it. I bet in a few years all cans of primer and paint will say something like 'will stick with no sanding required!' That doesn't mean it will stick...it just means you live in America, the land of lies.

I think I will go have some lunch. I have a craving for Wendys. They say they never freeze their beef and it's always fresh. I wonder if that's true. No, I don't.

• Souzette Lovell
    3 years ago

great answer paintguy22 - gave me a chuckle 7 years on.... even more lies now but nothing beats testing for ourselves, cheers