Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Benjamin Moore Color Samples - quality

graywings123
13 years ago

On the label of a pint of paint:

Usage: Benjamin Moore Color Samples contain premium quality interior paint and are intended for color representation only.

I asked the guys at the store whether it could used as wall paint and they were quick to discourage me, saying the paint would not hold up. Does this make sense?

Comments (7)

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

Just seconding what funcolors said. The BM hotline told me that the paint sample pints are essentially "watered down" versions of their paint. Might work on a craft project or something, but not designed to hold up like real wall paint.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear what you are saying but it seems false advertising to call it premium quality interior paint. I paid $7 for the pint which computes to $56 a gallon. You can buy Regal in the $30 range.

I'm putting it to the test. I have a bathroom painted in Ben Moore Straw, except for an area behind a storage unit that was left blue. I've removed the cabinet and have begun painting with the sample paint.

Here is the before pic. No matter how poorly the sample performs, it's going to be an improvement. The sample is a spot-on match with the existing paint.

This will be a good test for fading given the presence of the window.

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

The money is never going to equal out ounce for ounce. When any of my customers are debating about whether or not a quart of paint will be enough, I remind them that 2 quarts of paint is about the same cost as a gallon; kind of like Costco & bulk discounts. With samples, you're paying for the convenience of trying a color. Notice that the "premium quality interior paint" isn't identified as any of their paint lines (ben, Regal, Aura, etc.). I'm not sure which ingredients the BM samples skimp on (my guess would be the hide & adhesion elements?), but even on your wall, I don't think it could be any worse than the cheap paint many people use! Like off-label uses of anything, though, if it doesn't work out, BM can say they warned you.

• lady_slipper
    7 years ago

Can you please update on the sample paint durability on your wall?

• coppinj12
    7 years ago

Hi graywings123, How did your bathroom wall hold up? I'm thinking of trying BM color sample in my bathroom.

• Joe K
    last year

“You can buy Regal in the $30 range”

Boy have things changed in the 11 years since this thread was started