Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
truzella

Easy way to remove wall paint from molding

truzella
17 years ago

Although we taped-off our molding before painting the walls, the paint still bled through onto the molding. I REALLY don't want to repaint the molding. Does anyone know of any easy way to remove the paint that has seeped onto the molding? Many thanks.

Comments (3)

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Is it oil or latex?
    Oil based trim and latex wall paint?
    Dark on light or light on dark?
    How many running feet is there?
    How big (tall)is the molding?
    Was it caulked?
    How long ago did you paint?

• truzella
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Chris

Behr flat enamel (which I believe is latex)
    Trim is Duron commercial grade (I am not sure if latex or oil based)
    Dark walls, white trim
    lots of running feet, don't have exact number
    molding is the standard size (sorry I just don't have dimensions... no crown moldings etc)
    Yes, builder did some caulking
    Builder painted trim ~ 6 years ago. We painted walls about 1 week ago. Hope this helps enough that you can provide some guidance.
    I belie

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Okay - I know I asked a lot of questions but there are so many things home owners and builders do to their homes it pays to find out all you can - especially if you are troubleshooting.

Based on what you said - you probably have latex wall paint and a latex semi-gloss on your trim. Molding should be caulked if it is not. Thsi bleeding under the tape is usually caused by not firmly pressing the tape edge down and by pressing a fully loaded paint brush into the tape edge hoping to get a good cut in line. In my experiance you should only cut into a taped edge with a brush that is not dripping with paint. Let brush below the tape line a few strokes before getting right into the tape edge. This will help keep loads of paint from pressing into the tape edge and encouraging the seepage under the tape. Lightly paint up to the tape edge, going over the tape edge with a lightly loaded brush - don't glob it in there trying to cover in one stroke and coat. Build the color at the tape edge. Hold you brush straight up and down. Tilting the brush will encourage paint to go where no painters wants it to go.

For you - I would tape off the new wall paint and repaint the part of the trim that has the bleeding paint. This should go fast as you don't have to paint the whole molding and if you follow the tips above, you shouldn't have to worry about additional seepage.

Take your time - make a good tape line and don't over load your brush. It may take two coats but it beats trying to clean up right against the newly painted wall with deep colors. Make sure to use high quality painters tape.

Good luck.