Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is the formula for my quart tester not close to the gallon?

Posted by parma42 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 16:06

I had decided on SW Blonde and Ivoire for most of my house. Got the quart testers and painted some samples downstairs.

My painter came and did the master bedroom in a combo of those two. I then started wondering if the Blonde was going to be too light for the 2story family room with a southwest exposure. I looked at the formula on the cans. The Blonde quart was the same base as the gallon and a mixture of raw umber, new red and deep gold. The gallon was a mix of black, maroon and deep gold.

What's up with that or is it just a stupid consumer(me)not understanding the procedure?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is the formula for my quart tester not close to the gallo

Parma,
That means one of those 2 cans was a color-match!
* The Qt. & Gallon should have the same colorants, just in different proportion.
* There's NO reason for different colorants just because the size of the can's different.

OR, were you looking at the Qt. of one color, and the Gallon formula of another...by accident?!

Faron

o

Thanks for your answer.

I called my Sherwin Williams store and here's what they said...Yes, it's kind of weird but the colors to go quart testers are a different kind of paint than the Cashmere you picked for your house and the colorants look different in the two so we change the formula to adjust.

I did some samples of the two Blondes and there is a bit of a difference in the color. The Ivoire formulas are out of whack too. Tester was roughly 4 parts of raw umber to 7 parts deep gold. Cashmere was around 3 32s black, 1 64 maroon and 41 32s deep gold. Don't know where the maroon popped up. This is the color that will be in a lot of my space downstairs.

Did I just waste $100 and lots of time on these samplers? Also wonder how they color match from their computer. If say someone wants a BM color match and the computer has the formula, will it automatically adjust for the Cashmere or will it just spit out the same for both?

Thanks again,
Michelle

o

I forgot about their Colors-to-go!

How much are "those" quarts...relative to a Qt. of the ACTUAL paint??
Because it's different material, the colorant difference is logical...but still, actual paint samples are the best route.
ZERO difference that way!

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here