Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat or shinier sheen in bathrooms - thoughts?

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 15:29

What is the conventional wisdom on paint sheens in a bathroom?

Do we want wet look or flat?
Or is that just personal preference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat or shinier sheen in bathrooms - thoughts?

I would use one of the bath & spa paints. BM has one which is matte. They contain mold and mildew inhibitors if nothing else.

o

what she said^
It is conventional to have SOME sheen in a bath. Anything other than a flat and less than a semi gloss, such as matte, eggshell, pearl, satin.

o

I use regular matte paint in my bathrooms. It holds up fine even with humidity (enough to cause mold on caulk around the tub). And when the dogs shake water on the walls after a bath, the water dries without leaving spots.

o

I also use a lot of matte, no problem

o

In a bathroom, it's a good idea to use an eggshell or satin paint with an anti-mildew additive. An eggshell paint finish will be easier to maintain and it will stand up better to moisture. A flat finish won't react well to moisture in a bathroom and it would eventually become stained or mildewed, and you won't be able to clean the dull surface as easily as you a smooth paint. I personally recommend Duration Home from Sherwin Williams, at least for bathrooms. I painted a small bathroom in my house with Duration in a matte finish and the paint is very durable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherwin Williams Duration Paint Review

o

painter 325
first, you say ,use eggshell or satin, then you finish saying you used matte?

pretty confusing for the DIY

o

I have to part with some of recommendations here-

* If it's a MAIN/daily-use bath/shower, I tell our customers that Satin is best for the long run. I'm not a fan of Eggshell for the long-term.
* For a "Powder-room" setting, an Eggshell or top-quality Matte are just fine.
* "Mud-room" kinda use...SATIN. If it sees fairly dirty use/garments/boots, don't rule out Semi-gloss!!
* Kids/Teens bath & shower....SATIN.
* If no bath fan, I'll even push for S/G, depending on frequency of showers, & if it's on the lower-level.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here