Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for painting trim? and old windows?

Posted by maureeninmd (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 15:27

I plan to paint the interior trim in my 1930s-era house. Much of it has not been painted in 20 years! I'd appreciate some tips so this project will go smoothly.

Should I prime all three pieces of the baseboard or just the bottom part (similar to corner round), which is nicked up with lots of wood showing. The door trim is in better shape but there are still some nicks on the bottom 3 feet.

What type of brushes should I use? I bought a square brush that is angled which looked useful for the top part and the quarter round, but not for the 6-inch tall middle. I also have old 6-over-6 windows to paint.

I've used BM Regal Select semi-gloss on other projects with good results, but I am reading here that the Satin Impervo is better? Would it have a much stronger odor though? What primer should I use?

Thanks for any advice!
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for painting trim? and old windows?

If the old trim is oil, then using a good bridge primer (BM Fresh Start 023) would make sense for all the molding - preceded by good sanding. A 2.5 or 3" angled sash brush should work fine. More important is that you select a high quality brush from the likes of Purdy or Wooster - use their best. As for the paint, RS is excellent as is Satin Impervo. You will see the name Satin Impervo or Impervo used quite a bit around here and sometimes folks are referring to the oil version, sometimes the waterborne. The oil leaves the finest finish possible, but since it's an alkyd, it does smell, it will yellow and requires thinner for clean up. The waterborne version also produces a great finish but has a bit of a learning curve. If you are patient, the result is worth the effort

o
RE: Tips for painting trim? and old windows?

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense. My contractor was telling me that I didn't need to prime, but if I am going to all this trouble I might as well do a good job! I think I'll start on the upstairs first, so that my skills will improve as I work my way downstairs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here