Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Please advise re: Paint choice for exterior trim in Texas

kitchendetective
11 years ago

Our house is 7 years old and has its original SW Duration Exterior Paint on the trim. Most of the house is stone, except there is wood trim in Belvedere Tan, Navajo White, and one small wing in cedar shingle painted Dark Birch (I'm fairly sure--it is a driftwood color), all SW colors. We are having the trim painted again. It is all in good condition except for a small area of Belvedere Tan on the front of a south-facing balcony. Our paint contractor usually uses Duration, but will use whatever brand and paint we wish. So, here is my question: Should I specify SW Duration Exterior again, or should I switch to FPE? I am sure he will not remove every piece of wood and prime on 6 sides, which I think is the only way to meet FPE's guaranty requirements. I do not want to change any of the colors because they work so well with the stone. Thanks for your thoughts!
Oh, and we are roughly equidistant from Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, so whatever paints are available among the three are fair game. The big consideration is durability in the Texas sun and variable weather.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 15:07